Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Jaclyn,
I am a big fan of quotes like this. I think they make a real difference for students as well as encouraging instructors.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I have to say, I was surprised when I realized how excited my college students were about stickers on their tests! It sounds VERY juvenile, but they truly enjoy the little bit of shiny encouragement at the top of a test! I also send students positive emails when I see improvement in class and call out their achievements when possible.

1. Positive reinforcement – whether that is verbal or non-verbal
2. Energetic and engaging classes
3. Guest speakers
4. Respect and kindness

Brittany,
You make a good point about the stickers. I have a saying "adults are just taller children". By this I mean that we can use many of the same methods of reinforcement that teachers of children use because we are all human. My adult students like snacks, stickers, pizza after they have done a good job with a project or quiz.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Nichole,
Four great items that all teachers should use with their students. Thanks for sharing this list with us.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Motivation techniques include telling about your own experiences or inviting a previous student to talk or patient.

Sherry,
I use graduates as guest speakers a lot in my classes for the reason you mention. When they share how the course content helped them to be successful in the workplace the current students get really excited and start to see more value to the course content.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

This topic has given me something to think about. In a psychology course that I teach a requirement is that they need to do a research paper and a powerpoint with presentation being optional on a topic of their choice. I am reconsidering giving student's options (let them build on their skill what they feel comfortable with). Give them a choice between a written paper, a poster presentation, or an oral presentation. Hopefully this will motive them as some students really get upset by the idea of a research paper even though I walk them through the steps.

1. Midterm grades is always an eye opener for students. If they are doing badly I will have the student establish a stratgy to improve their grade.
2. I give all students my cell number and are only allowed to text me. This allows for great communitcation and I love texting pictures of their quiz/exam grades. They love it!

Real life stories definitely motivate the students to learn so they can some day share stories of their own.

By encouraging them and telling them that what they are doing or did was a sign of professionalized and skilled person. By recognitions showing what a good job they did and
if possible to provide them certificates or extra points or credits.

Lisa,
Yes, they do. They help the content to come alive and brings value to the course content in the minds of students. So keep sharing your stories and examples.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Providing feedback is needed with students. It keeps them motivated and interested.

I have sent students e-mails regarding test scores or grades to try to motivate them. I also try to give them "pep" talks especially if we are doing something hands on that the student is worried about.

Valerie,
Good for you. These words and messages of encouragement go a long way in helping students to stay in school and work hard to be successful in their course work. Sometimes we forget how much influence a supportive word can have from a student's learning leader.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

mid term progress reports
quick turn around for grades
stickers on tests (yes adults love them)

To discuss the opportunities in their chosen field, and to show a path to success.

I have found that a great technique is money... If you bring in future employers and have them present to the class what there company is about and some of there employees salary they seem to all light up with enthusiasm.

Some examples of effective motivation techniques are:

Getting excited about the subject.
Getting excited about the students success, especially when they were doubting themselves.
Getting the students to put to use what they have learned.

Brenda

I like to use creative assignments for extra credit projects. I also give bonus points for students who participate in activities related to their field outside of class. This really helps them see what is available in the community and improves their networking.

Sign In to comment