Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Totally agree with remembering names but with classes often exceeding 30 students, memory often refuses to cooperate. As a result, I often scribble a rough chart (for my eyes only) at the beginning of each class. After a few scribbling episodes, each name comes to the forefront.

Danny,
Thank you for sharing this strategy with us. All of us instructors can use all of the methods we can to remember so many names in so many different settings.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

One of the best motivation techniques for me has always been personal experience. Being able to show a student that I started out in the same place they are, and sharing my growth throughout my career, to the point of now standing in front of them teaching. I find this works well in keeping a student motivated. If I can do it, so can they.

Joseph,
Students really like hear stories about the past experiences of their instructors. These stories help the content to come alive and become personal for them because the start to relate to you and how you progressed in your own career.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I always remember my student’s names within the first 3 days of class. I also try to remember any details about them that they tell me, such as that they have 2 children.

Daniel,
This is because you are listening to them and you care about them as human beings. This is the human factor in teaching. This sets the stage for a very successful class because the students know they have a dedicated and professional learning leader.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I agree learning their names makes them feel valued to the instructors

1. Personal comments
2. Comment when the student does a good job on a quiz or test
3. Tell the students how much you enjoy having all of them in your class.
4. Tell them about the stories that you have been motivated with in your life
5. always tell them 'I can do it"

I use lot of pictures, one line sayings, stories, charts on my powerpoint to motivate them once in a while.

I agree with learning the students names, it makes them feel important plus, I always start by asking review questions from the previous lectures and engage the students by telling in the their own words what they have learned up to this point.

I teach medical classes and in lab I explain by try and error... I ask them what can happen if they keep repeating the same mistake and a then ask what would be a better way of doing.

To motivate my students I allow them to contribute their own experiences in class. It helps them relate to the subject and feel involved.

Immediate feedback is one excellent source of motivation for a student. I found this is a direct encouranging tool because the student feels I am aware and on point with his progress whether it is in the area of improvement or success.

Since I teach Speech Communication, I often show videos of effective speeches in class. To motivate students, I ask them all to bring in a link to a favorite speech of theirs to share with the rest of the class, and try to watch the videos throughout the semester to make them feel they are contributing to the class content. We discuss each one and analyze it for effectiveness. I find the students are more willing to share their ideas about each others' speeches a bit more than the ones I have chosen!

By knowning the course material the instructor can use the students experience and prior education to keep the students engaged thus motivated.

Positive experiences from former students who have now graduated and are now successful motivates my students to persevere in their current learning and know that there is the proverbial "light at the end of the tunnel".

Mary,
Students as you know love hearing stories from the field. The stories help the students to connect with the content being shared and increases their perception of the value of it as well.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Patricia,
This point needs to be made over and over. Immediate feedback as the instructor defines it is so important for keeping the interest of students. By knowing with a short turn around how they did on a project or quiz students can make sure they make any adjustments needed to be able to proceed successfully in the course.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Terie,
I think you have a very good approach to a course that many students perceive as not having the value of courses in their field. The more you can demonstrate to them, like the videos how effective communication can assist them in their career development the more value they will see in what you are offering.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I agree that getting to know your students is crucial. At the beginning of each of my classes, I have the students do a short quick writing that explains why they are in my program and what their goals for the class are. This is not only a great way for me to get to know them, it's always fun to look back on at the end of the term.

Rochelle,
I use graduates frequently in my classes because they really motivate students. The students see themselves in these successful graduates so they really listen and apply what they say.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Jennifer,
Thank you for sharing this exercise with us. It can be applied in any class and the results as you say are informative as well as fun for the students to review.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment