Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Effective Motivation Techniques

What are some examples of effective motivation techniques that career college instructors can use in their classes?

I think really having a good understanding of your subject, delivering the information at a understandable pace, and being excited and animated about your subject.

Without getting into details I use myself as a example of a single parent who made it through school and has climbed the professional ladder since. Sometimes students cannot see their way through when there are personal and family issues that are distracting or discouraging.

Tricia,
A simple three step process that will yield good results. Many instructors don't seem to be able to define and then refine how these three steps work together.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Suzarie,
Being a role model for overcoming difficult odds is a powerful message to students. Often students think their instructor have not had any life challenges so sharing this personal information about how you overcame situations and are now able to enjoy success in your life is very motivating.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Get to know your students; their backgrounds, their names, their learning styles. Use this information to relate course content to each student and their experiences.

Crystal,
This information is very valuable when it comes to instructional planning and delivery. It enables you to more accurately target your instruction to the current group of students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I make it a point to memorize the students names within the first couple days of class. I think that this shows the students that I care about who they are, and am interested in helping them succeed.

Scott,
I agree with you about the value associated with learning the names of students quickly. This shows the students that you care about them as individuals and are there to help them be successful if they are willing to put forth the effort.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Using other student's success after they have finished the same program as an example has been highly motivating for my students. Many students don't see the point of some assignments that I have given, but when I use the example of a previous student, and how that assignment made an impact on that student it redirects thier opinion.

Amanda,
Successful graduates as guest speakers are powerful motivators. You are so right in terms of them helping the current students to see the value of the content being taught. Excitement from visits of graduates last for weeks after they have spoken.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I like to use real world stories revolving around the material. Basically I'll give them a scenario and ask them about their thoughts and opinions. Many times I'll ask them what they would have done. It's rather interesting the responses you get or in some cases...the responses you don't get.

Vaughn,
I am a big fan of using case studies based upon my career experiences for the reasons you state. They get the students engaged and thinking about the course content. In addition, students get to hear, after discussing the case studies, the end results. Knowing how the case worked out helps them with their problem solving development.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

In order to motivate students, I remember their names within the first week. Also, I allow each student to reflect on their background. Then I give examples, from their background, that is related to the class topic.

I make sure I have students fill out a summary of their "goals" explaining why they decided to pursue a career in the field. Whenever I feel that the students are less motivated,I encourage them to refer to their "goals summary."

Freddie,
Good for you. The learning of student names early on in a course is a way to earn their respect and establish you as the learning leader. It is a building process from there.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Vennetta,
This is a good strategy to use because as you mention when they start to wear down you can have them pull out their goals and see how far they have come so far and how much closer they are to achieving their goals. I have found that my students get worn down just after the mid-point of the course and this is when I need to pull out the goal statements and get them ramped up again so they can finish the course with vigor.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

As a program director in a career college, I encourage faculty to build on student experiences - they can bring a great enrichment to the class. Faculty complete a short survey of students at the start of class that assists in determining learning styles and motivational interests to assist them in the course delivery.

I have a 'meet & greet' session on the first day of class. I give each student a 3 x 5 card and ask them to put their name, hobbies, family info if they would like to share, and their reason for furthering their education. I then have them ask a question about me, their instructor. I think this is a way to let the students see that I am a person too, not just an instructor. I then collect them and look them over. One by one I then call out their name and ask them why they chose the field that they did, what is one of the things they would like to accomplish when finishing their education, and then after going thru all of them, I will answer their questions about me so as not to draw attention to them individually.

I spend a few minutes asking students where they would like to work after graduation, and then we try to focus on some things that will apply to that particular field.

Sign In to comment