Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Engaging Pedagogical Models | Origin: ED129

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Practical Applications for the Flipped Classroom --> Engaging Pedagogical Models

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Giving a group of students a task to complete with a set of guidelines. To be completed in an agreed time period. I can only course correct to keep them on track.

How to help students prepare for situations which may occur in their future lives by applying game based learning methods in a flipped classroom. This method will challenge the student to do research, develop questions and use own experiences (or others) to impact learniong.

Problem base learning will help my students mimic their real life experience

This has been interesting to hear about backward planning in a flipped classroom. Looking at outcomes and what you want to accomplish as your plan makes sense in a flipped or blended program.

It was interesting to consider the flipped classroom and starting planning by looking at outcomes first. This makes sense in a flipped or blended program.  To keep students accountable for their independent learning, the game-based and inquiry-based learning examples seem very relevant.

I like it didnt know what some of it meant but now i do so i can apply it for myself

I appreciated the information about Understanding by Design.  Starting with the outcome or goals of the class in mind and then figuring out which assessments to use and finally developing the learning activities is a great way to ensure that the learning activities and assessments will actually meet the goals of the class by the end of the semester.  I find myself often starting with reviewing text books and developing lesson plans, which makes it harder to ensure that outcomes are actually being met.  I can definitely see how the UdB method would be more effective.

PBL is student-centered and student-driven. It makes them an active participant in their learning, rather than a passive bystander. 

I definitely lean towards problem-based learning. The list of questions provided to assist in the flipped model was helpful, and the note about creating a physical learning environment that fosters collaboration was enlightening.

Still having a hard time gasping which larning base I like due to my old fashion way of lecturing. I do strongly agree that you have to look at the class as a whole to see what is the collective attitude in learniwng is of the class

When considering doing a flipped classroom, I hadn't thought about all of the potential approaches, but after learning about PBL, GBL, and IBL, I have some practical options to help me implement some of this material into my classroom. 

I like the concept of "backward" approach in designing lessons. What content must be learned? What are the objectives in this content? How do I break down these objectives into learning "bites"? What methods will I utilize to show the student shows mastery of each objective? Etc.  

Problem based learning, game based learning, Instructor based learning are different options of learning techniques. These are alternative ways to teach by identifying the desired results and the goal how to get the students to achieve the goal.

There are many different types of learning techniques including PBL, GBL, and IBL that can be beneficial in the flipped classroom. This will help students achieve their goals by identifying what they need to learn and how best to achieve that. 

Think about the end goal (standards and state regulations) and how am I going to get my students to achieve them. Seems simple enough.

I enjoyed learning more in-depth about the pedagogical models and how they can be used individually or in combination. Using these models will help to create engaging and effective learning environments. I like that these different models allow for adaptation to different students' specific needs and interests. 

Sign In to comment