Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Recognize stress - Interpersonal

Students have to organize the list - Logical/Mathematical

Students are working physically together and arranging themselves - Spatial/visual

Music is playing - Musical

Students communicate and organize via speaking - Linguistic/Verbal

Think of urgency and importance -Intrapersonal

Moving throughout the class and physically in order - Bodily kinesthetic

Jocelyn Dervis

Good job Jocelyn!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

While certainly I recognize the value of teaching to different learning modalities and leveraging multiple intelligences, most of the examples presented in the module and referenced in this discussion forum seem geared toward teaching (learning facilitating?) processes.

The are some subjects wherein, unpopular though it may be, the student must learn facts: definitions, historical events and the dates thereof, taxonomies... Any recommendations as to how we can create games that will be effective for this type of subject matter?

The obvious one is a Jeopardy!-like trivia game, but I'm not entirely clear on how this addresses different learning styles other than the auditory and visual... For instance, yes, you could play the Jeopardy! theme song, but I'm a bit dubious on the actual relation to the learning process of having music playing if that music is just framing device or background noise and not actually directly related to the subject matter...but I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

Our students come from very harsh environments. They face issues that are not the norm for most educated people. Yet, they have choosen to rise above... For this reason alone managing stress is a big factor. However, just what will work for them when they may laugh at the suggested activities listed, is the question, and the challenge I face each day.

Interpersonal:the students need to communicate and organize with each other to win

Logical/Mathematical: they have to figure out a way to connect with each other and make sense of their information

Spatial/visual: They need to have an idea of their final goal to be able to organize themselves

Musical: the fast paced music gives a sense of urgency

Linguistic/Verbal: Students need to communicate to put themselves in the right order, it keeps all students communicating evenly

Intrapersonal: Student must reflect within themselves to be able to communicate and be part of the group work.

Bodily kinesthetic: By them being up and around moving fastly to be first.

Hi David!

I understand your delimma as I work in an eduational environment where approximately 70% of the student population are felons. It is a difficult population to engage because of there low self esteem and literacy levels.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

This successfully demonstrates all the of multiple intelligences...

will help with teaching styles

Hi Teresa!

How will this help with teaching styles? Please expound1

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
Ed106 Facilitator

others have given specific answers to each intelligence, but I see it as; they have to interact, communicate; problem solve, sort; be personable; all this under the pressure of time, and the social contraints of the other personalities in the group and how well they know them. It clearly would indicate the leaders and problem solvers in the group as they would emerge as the organizers of the game.

I started to ponder the missing Intelligences, too.

Perhaps we could begin the exercise with personal reflection on current stress levels and privately listing favorite methods of coping. That might take care of both Intrapersonal and Existential. A post-activity reflection could bring it home.

Having plants in the room, as the lesson suggested, would be an easy was to fit Naturalist into the environment, but I'm not sure the greenery would register more than subconsciously. (Carrying potted plants around each class period could get a bit cumbersome, although I have in the past carried a vase of flowers.)Perhaps each team could choose a name for itself that would represent a relaxing aspect of nature? Or maybe the "Step" cards could be on green paper with an image of a tree?

Greetings Dixie!

As I reviewed the posts to this forum, I had a thought! Most of us are challenged when we are putting groups together for group work. Wouldn't it be great if we could us this activity to put groups together? Having one of each type in a group would enable the group to have an exciting learning experience and we could possibly have everyone contributing equally but in their own way.

Good job!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

Wow, how do I even follow this response?? This exercise utilized all seven multiple intelligences. I alwasy knew that interactive activities help keep students focused because of the combination of action and thought. This course helped to break it down.

It gets people moving around and also forces students to work together as well as independently. Visuals include the puzzle pieces and the prize. Students must be able to recall the 5 steps in the process and reason out which steps need to be added (and where to add them) to complete their list. Background music completes the process.

I very much agree with you, we are all winners at the end.

This would engage the students and cause them to utilize their multiple intelligences especially in the area of interpersonal (working with others), bodily kinesthetic (physical), musical (expression), emotional (exciting), logical (deduction, organizing) and spatial.

The Game is a stimulation that will help transfer learning because everyone at least once in their life has experienced stress and/or is trying to find ways to help manage their stress. This exercise will help map all seven of the Multiple Intelligences:

Interpersonal- The learner will be comfortable working in a team. (working with others)

Logical/Mathematic-The learner can make decisions and define the process and rules of the game.(logic. math and deduction)

Spatial/Visual- The student will see the list of the five steps and picture each step.The learner can also visualize the end result which is the prize. (picturing and seeing)

Intrapersonal- The learner can feel comfortable knowing that he or she is responsible for owning one of the steps of stress management.(working alone)

Musical- The learner will be listening to the fast music playing in the background which will make it easier for him/her to express himself/herself. (musical expression)

Linguistic/Verbal- The students will be given the opportunity to speak to eachother. (spoken, written word)

Bodily/Kinesthetic- The students will be moving around trying to get into the correct position. (being physcial)

Emotional-The students will be able to connect the experience with a game that they played as a child. (identifying emotion)

Naturalist-The experience for these students may be weak unless there is something in the room such as flowers, plants, or something from nature to incorporate into the exercise. (being with nature)

Existential-The experience for the learner is that he/she is going to understand his/her purpose of doing the exercise. (understanding one's purpose)

Having read over some of the great responses already here, what more can I say! :-)

Here is my contribution:

Intrapersonal - Each person has to decide how to approach this. Do I sit here and wait for others to ask me which of the steps I have? Or do I get up and start looking for my team members.

Linguistic / Verbal - group communication and trying to talk through the order of the steps; communicate the results to the class.

Spatial / Visual - the students are analyzing visual cues from others and arranging themselves into groups in space.

Musical- there is music playing! Hopefully it will energize the activity.

Logical / Mathematical - this is covered by deciding the logic of not only finding the others in the team but also the sequence of the steps.

Interpersonal -clearly a group activity will cover this one.

Bodily / Kinesthetic - they are getting up and moving around.

Naturalist - as others have mentioned, this is weak. But there could be follow up group discussion of how people can use nature and natural sounds to help them manage stress. Play some soothing natural sounds after the wild music stops perhaps? ;-)

Existential - each person would need to think about how managing stress is important to him or to her.

Thanks! Lyn

Hi, emotional is important, I agree. Perhaps another emotion would be the desire to win a prize? Some people try harder to win, others get nervous about a "contest." Lyn

1.) Recognizing stress seems to be emotional, as well as somewhat kinesthetic, because it requires the student to listen to their bodies.

2.) The deep breaths are kinesthetic. Also intrapersonal, and can also lead to a sense of the existential.

3 & 4.) Thinking of both urgency and importance causes them to use spacial intelligence to picture or see (visual) in their minds why and what.

5.) Working on the right thing for right now is can involve the logical intelligence, putting things in order.

Finding the other four people who complete their list of 5 allow a student to be more interpersonal, and music the instructor plays obviously affects a student's musical intelligence.

Sign In to comment