Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It would map out extremely well.
There are logical, spatial, linguistic, intrapersonal, kinesthetic, and emotional processes involved. The nature side is alittle weak, but with the ability to use the teachings to solve a puzzle as a gorup, and have a reward attahced to it is a a great simulation/game.

As a supporter of Multiple Intelligences learning styles, I feel it is very important to touch as many as possible during the course of instruction. My course is only 5 days long, and the student base are career military or government civilians. They can be quite a varied bunch.
1. In recognizing stress, intrapersonal learners will identify the level of stress that a given situation will bring upon them and enable a better response to the stress.
2. The logical/mathematical learners will work hard toward determining the urgency and importance factors, then develop the course for working on the right thing for right now.
3. Visual/Spatial learners will envision the right thing for right now and develop key steps as they play out the scenario in their mind.
4. Interpersonal learners will bring a level of brainstorming to the problem set determining the sense of urgency, importance, and what is the right thing for right now.
5. Verbal/Linguistic learners will bring many of the other players together by forming cogent ideas expressed verbally that all will understand.
6. Musical learners will excel by their sense of timing in the breathing exercise and aid in pacing the others during the deliberations of urgency, importance, and selection of the right thing for right now.
7. Bodily kinesthetic learners respond to the stress by being allowed to move around to the music and enjoying the fun, fast and frantic pace established by the music. Their thoughts will be instrumental in the brainstorming during urgency, importance, and selection.
8. Students from all learning styles bring a wealth of benefit to the group...it is important to allow the students to recognize the gifts of all others.

First of all, the activity is very social so that covers the Interpersonal. Second ,sequencing and logic, deduction are the Logical/mathematical intelligences strong suit. Music is being played to match the caos so the musical is assisted as well. Spatial/visual is helped by the information being seen not heared or lectured. Verbal intelligence is at a sort of loss here. Not a lot of written word but there is a lot of speaking happening. The bodily kenesthetic person is moving around the room to keep focused. Finally this activity is not intended for the Intrapersonal intelligence because of their need to work alone.

Building retention via primacy, recency, uniqueness, emotion, and visual is very important. As talked about earlier, using color is a great learning tool.

Seems like a fun exercise. Here's what I identified:
Intrapersonal - learner examines their own item to determine what other steps he or she needs.
Interpersonal - learned seeks out others to complete the list.
Logical/mathematical - learners need to put steps in logical order.
Spatial/visual - each learner has a written statement that they can read and reference.
Musical - the activity is set to fast-paced music.
Linguistic/verbal - learners need to speak with others to determine which steps each possesses.
Bodily/kinestheic - learners move around the room in search of those with complimenting steps.

By involving all of the above mentioned intelligences in the exercise the student's retention rate should be enhanced. This exercise does in fact include techniques addressing all 7 multiple intelligences. These type of well planned activities improve the possibilities of learning for all students involved.

Musical
Music used to set the pace
Visual/Spatial
The students need to imagine the steps and where they all fit
Verbal/Linguistic
Reading and asking/discussing with other students what steps they have
Logical/Mathematical
Getting items in the right order and following the rules
Bodily kinesthetic
Moving around the room to find matches and ultimately groups
Interpersonal
They have to talk with each other to determine the order of the steps
Intrapersonal
The first thing they have to do is understand the game

Showing the caring of recognizing stress and finding something to reduce it makes a better enviorement

I use viual, auditory and kinesthetic when I teach the FOIL method in math. I show them a video with sound introducing this concept. I then have the student repeat out loud the correct order of the FOIL method. Then I have paretheses drawn on the blackboard and floor and have them do the FOIL dance with their arms and legs. This has been very successful!

the 7 Multiple Intelligences apply to this exercise as follows:
Intrapersonal = working with others in a group (team)
Verbal = find others in list of steps
Spacial = arranging themselves in order
Musical = music is playing
Logical = instructed on how to win the game (rules)
Interpersonal = each student is given a step
Kinesthetic = students are arrangeing themselves in order

Shows intrest in how the student is handling stress and gives them tools to work with.

It would create more stress, and less focus. It would blur the multiple intelligences, although, they may realize the music is causing some stress and be able to discuss it.

Unless it's conducted outside or plants are otherwise already in the classroom, I think that it would be difficult to target naturalistic learners.

Otherwise, it fits fairly well with other learners. Visual if all students are given cards with their words on it or have to create a pictorial representation of their step, this covers visual. Auditory can be covered with using light music in the background or allowing discussion among the group. Kinesthetic is covered by virture of moving around the room as is interpersonal engagement with others. Existential and intrapersonal seem to be covered by thinking about the step that he/she represents and its importance in the grand scheme and to him/herself.

Peripheral learning is a very important style of learning!! Visuals assist a lot.

I have identified the aptitudes for learning, in this exercise, in the following ways.

Interpersonal- The necessity to form groups through communication with a specific goal as outlined.

Logical/mathematical- The formation of the group through exclusion and reception by forming the group. This is also reflected in the order for completion by category upon completion of the exercise and achieving the goal.

Spatial/visual- Through identification of team members necessary to build the goal and the organization of the order of the final step

Musical- Will set the tempo related to the urgency to complete the goal. Especially if the music begins the exercise and the exercise is over when the music stops.

Linguistic/verbal- Allows the linguistic learner to communicate and retain their skills to focus the group and add to the group success.

Intrapersonal- This type of leaner must identify their contribution to the overall success of the group and identify the other single elements that form the overall objective. Each person plays a roll independently.

Bodily kinesthetic- This type of learner must move around the room with specific purpose and direction to include or eliminate required team members.

Emotional- The team members must be conscious of the other potential team completing the goal before they do, consequently, the emotional component could drive or eliminate stress resulting in success or failure.

Naturalist- The naturalist, in the stress exercise, could be the claming influence by identifying natural influences in the room, i.e. “Stand by the hibiscus until you are joined by the other identifiers.”

Existential- This learner would relate to the group as and individual and realize their contribution to the group’s success upon completion.

Considering the five tasks these are great to think or do when one is in the kitchen. When a ton of tickets come through the first thing that comes to mind is "wow Im in the weeds!" Once you recognize the situation, one will probably get some form of stress. Once they recognize it they can focus the level of stress to a being highly motivated. The 10 deep breaths can help with his. Sense of urgency comes with practice. One will find out that some tasks take longer than others so thats when they can prioritize.

They have to effectively communicate with each other in order to accomplish their goals. At the same time, they are in a constant state of motion.

Wow! This is so well said, I don't know that I could it in any other way.

Sometimes as an instructor I struggle with making sure that I have met the needs of all types of learners. This exercise, helps me look at the larger picture and think of new things to incorporate into my classroom.

This exercise does support the various Multiple Intelligences that this module discusses. First, the idea of "intrapersonal" reflection emphasizes the personal recognition of stress. Then, taking the 10 deep breaths relect upon "body kinesthetics, emotional" state of the individual. Thinking of the urgency, importance and working of the right thig for right now, gets the student to reflect of "spatial visual, lingusitics/verbal, and interpersonal relationships with others." The "musical reflection" will help the individual student "learn and retain more information because music enhances retention of knowledge. Overall, I think performing this exercise is very supportive of the seven multiple intelligences.

Sign In to comment