Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I hold I do not sound repetitive I think I have said this in the past on a different CEE.
Recognize stress:
I teach my students the same way I like to learn, hands on. I always try to feel out my students by asking them how they like to learn. Must of my students are hands on learners. Therefore having an item in their hand while I am speaking about it helps.
Now the topic and where I am going with this statement.
Recognizing Stress; because my students are hands on learners I have watched other instructors teach and students are either stressed or lost because they do not have anything to relate too. I have seen instructors over students with information where the students are so stressed the student leaves the class.

Hi Ricard,

It is great that you try to identify stressors for students and provide an opportunity for them to reduce their stress. Creating a positive learning environment is very important.

Good job!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

Bodily kinesthetic: Students are moving around the classroom.
Interpersonal: They are discussing and working in a group enviroment.
Intrapersonal: They have to think for themselves.
Linguistic/verbal: They have to discuss the steps and order with potential team-mates.
Logical/mathematical: They are going to have to use deductive reasoning.
Musical: The type of music will set the pace of the room.
Spatial/visual: They must be able to visualise the correct sequence.

it maps by tightly aligning all of the Intelligences

To begin with the visual is utilized by asking the students to create a picture of what would work best in the exercise. They have to come up with their own list first and in order to do that they use their intrapersonal intelligence.

As they are working music is playing which utilizes the musical aspect of the multiple intelligence.

The students have to work together and discuss the best way to place themselves in the correct order which uses both their verbal and interpersonal skills. However, not every order will be appropriate, so the process of determining which would be the most appropriate order to place themselves in would allow them to utilize their math/logic.

The actual action of getting in the proper order uses their kinesthetic intelligence.

I strongly agree, this is excellent tool for us to improve,Ultimately our students and we the teacher are the winners.
THANK YOU

I note that seven intelligences may not be enough, the list stands at 10 in the materials at present and is expected to grow.

Interpersonal - this would be exhibited by the students performace of identifying themselves as to which step they represent and by listening to others to learn what steps they represent. The give and take of this information is the interpersonal interaction.

The logic for solving the problem, the identificatin of the steps and the organization in a specific order reflected by the physical orientation of the students serves both the Logical/Mathematical and Spatial/visual intelligences

The fun, fast and frantic music being played plays to beta brainwaves to stimulate alertness. The additional prize (contest ) aspect gives me a cautionary thought however. Clearly, this serves Musical aptitude. I am concerned that the music not be too loud and fast paced. The competition aspect of winning or losing the prize, the Existential purposes that has been set by the instructor could lead to excessive levels of stress and trigger the reptilian brain stifling learning, performance and even the willingness to participate. This of course could lead to failure of the exercise for some students. The Music must be managed carefully.

The afore mentioned interpersonal interactions also create the opportunity to use and develop the use of Linguistic/Verbal intelligence. How many words, what intended meaning, comprehesible (decodeabel by others) for the achievement of a goal.This is particulary challengeing as some students may wish to discuss why, other possibilities as so on, especially when others are most focused on the "competition". An interesting challenge to the point of step 5 in the stress management process.

Can one manage themselves, once the beginning or end of the five steps have been established, can the individual student orient themselves. This is both Intrapersonal and Bodily Kinesthetic within the individual person.
The physical positioning inrealtionship to others adds again the Spatial/Visual aptitude.

The "competition" goal, learing the steps in order goal, using the individual and group intelligences, etc. give multiple and complex opportunites to show Emotional aptitude. Dealing with and creating fun, to dealing with the conflicts of who may be right (clearly a conflict with stress management itslef).

The Natuarlist aptitude is served obliquely at best. The nature and variety of human behaviors both strategic and reactionary can be part if recognised. As for actual nature itself however, we would have to bring it into the classroom (plants, class pets, etc.) and somehowrelate them to the activity.

I am quite new to teaching but have got some greta ideas about how to appeal to each of my students preferred styles of learning. Even for myself as an instuctor incorporating different activities in the class keeps it fun and flowing , and helps me connect with each of my students.

Recognizing stress utilizes the logical/mathematical intelligence. The 10 deep breaths utilize the bodily kinesthetic intelligence. thinking of the urgency utilizes the spatial/visual intelligence model. Thinking of the importance uses the existential intelligence and working on the right thing for right now uses emotional intelligence. Performing these 5 tasks while listening to music uses musical intelligence and working with the other four people uses interpersonal intelligence.

Recognizing stress utilizes the logical/mathematical intelligence. The 10 deep breaths utilize the bodily kinesthetic intelligence. thinking of the urgency utilizes the spatial/visual intelligence model. Thinking of the importance uses the existential intelligence and working on the right thing for right now uses emotional intelligence. Performing these 5 tasks while listening to music uses musical intelligence and working with the other four people uses interpersonal intelligence.

Good morning again!

How about sharing some of your ideas. I am sure that we all could benefit.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

I'll have to agree with you. I think this is excellent for the students and will put in to work in my class.

The ways this exercise would map the seven multiple intelligences are as follows:
Interpersonal: They need to communicate to find out who can be on the same team
Logical/Mathematical: They need to follow the steps to process the task in the correct way
Spatial/visual: They need to be aware of the space that they must work in.
Musical: Music can be played to help with this process
Linguistic/Verbal: They need to read the instructions and speak
Intrapersonal: They need to understand their own learning styles in order to work with others
Bodily kinesthetic: This is a great exercise to get them moving around the room and interacting with each other.

The ways this exercise would map the seven multiple intelligences are as follows:
1. Interpersonal: They need to communicate to find out who can be on the same team
2. Logical/Mathematical: They need to follow the steps to process the task in the correct way
3. Spatial/visual: They need to be able to picture or visualize the proper order.
4. Musical: Music can help this process and set the tempo for the task’s completion
5. Linguistic/Verbal: They need to speak/interact with others to get the proper order.
6. Intrapersonal: They need to manage their own stress to understand the task and be able to complete it.
7. Bodily kinesthetic: This exercise gets them moving around the room and interacting with each other.

great stuff and very useful. i will make use of my new found knowledge a.s.a.p. have to study some of it some more though.

Interpersonal: Students have to work together to "win a prize" for their team

Logical/Mathematical: Instructions and rules to be followed

Spatial/visual: Each instruction must be visuaized and then instuted/operationalized.

Musical: The frantic pace of the music pushes students to complete the assignment.

Linguistic/Verbal: Students must work together and discuss their intent and operations for completion.

Intrapersonal: Students handle their steps to achieve stress management activity completion through self examination.

Bodily kinesthetic: Students must adjust their che, stress levels and breathing in coordination with others acomplishing the same tasks.

Hi Hans!

As instructors, we should definitely read and study and use those skills. But I encourage you not to be too bogged down in the "stuff". Often being in the classroom with the students is the best teacher.

Good job!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

The exercise will include students of difference learning intelligences. Interpersonal - as they are asked to work in groups. The choice of music includes the musical aptitude of students. Students with logical intelligence will be able to think while selecting the proper order. Kinesthetic learners will have the opportunity to move around and do things. The prize itsels is the reinforcement for visual and emotional learners, and so on.
BTW - students love these types of exercises, and they work beautifully in my critical thinking or interpersonal communications classes.

The exercise as stated maps the interpersonal in that the students must communicate the "step" each individual (intrapersonal) represents and discover from the others by linguistics and verbal communication their "step." By logic and mathematics they position themselves spatially and visually and in doing so employ bodily and kinesthetic action. The music adds to the multiple Intelligence challenge.

1. Interpersonal: working with others
2. Logical Mathematical: Numerical order, possibly they might be doing some deductive reasoning on why this is the order of importance
3. Spatial/Visual: They have to line themselves up in order. You would be surprised how hard this is for some people: WHich side should I stand on???
4. Musical: the frantic pace suggests that the participants have fun while they are finding partners and takes the stress off this being a totally serious exercise.
5. Linguistic/verbal: Participants must understand the directions as given
6. Kinesthetic: moving around to find partners

7. Emotional: As the participants are moving around they might be thinking about how stress effects them (something that might come out later in debriefing)
8. Existential: anytime one is talking about stress and they continue to work "on the right thing for right now" it might bring them back to "their purpose" which leads to
9. Intrapersonal: the abilty to reflect on being one in a crowd of many and they might reflect on how they can give to the collective and while they are self reflecting the very idea of managing stress might make them visualize nature which puts them in the last of Gardner's Intelligences mentioned here which is 10. Naturalist.

I guess it all depends on what you have set up before you created this exercise and how the person responds to stimuli whether real or imagined and what questions are in the debriefing.

Sign In to comment