Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

All five steps are represented in the MI’s. Communication and working together is imperative to get the exercise to work. Music is added as an extra motivator. This would be a great exercise to put into practice.

The exercise maps Multiple Intelligences in the following areas:

Interpersonal - Students are asked to find four people to work in a group. Interpersonal is the ability to work with others.

Logic/mathematical - In this exercise, students arrange the five steps in a logical manner through the use of deduction.

Spatial/visual - Students can see or picture stress by recognizing its symptoms (I am not really sure on this one).

Musical - Students are listening to music that invoke emotion of stress perhaps (?).

Linguistic/verbal - Thinking and writing down the importance and urgency of stress.

Intrapersonal - Students can work alone by working on the right thing for right now based on their personal agenda.

Bodily Kinesthetic - Taking the 10 deep breaths, students could practice doing this when confronted with a stressful situation.

When mapping how people learn to the classroom, the Interpersonal Intelligence is key due to working in a team environment that has an Emotional link. The students may have started this exercise as Intrapersonal and Linguistic Intelligence by writing their list of five step stress management. Later Visual and Kinesthetic Intelligence allows students to chart and arrange themselves in proper order. The music allows the team to strategize in order to win a prize.

I agree with Interpersonal this would be exhibited by the students performance of identifying themselves as to which step they represent and by listening to others to learn what steps they represent. I use the logic for solving the problem, the students serves both the Logical/Mathematical and Spatial/visual intelligences.

It applies to following intelligences...
intrapersonal =10 deep breaths
interpersonal= find a group
Linguistic intelligence ("word smart"):
Logical-mathematical intelligence= count to 10
Spatial intelligence-put in order
Bodily-Kinesthetic intelligence= line up in the correct order -move around the room to find 5 people
Musical intelligence-listen to livly music

This module needs its own class.

Heavy stuff here.

I'm going to work through this again a few times.

I use games alot in my classes.

I struggle with the group versus individual activities. Sometimes I can't get the right balance for each class.

Regarding the exercise projected, to the Multiple Intelligences, I submitt:

interpersonal: a student would question each individual team member's relavance to their specialization

logical/mathematical: a student would relate to, or organize the order of sequence to arrange the order of team members

spatial / visual: the student can observe the impression of conditions of the stressed person

musical: the student will respond to the audio communication of the music

linguistic / verbal: the student will formulate written or oral summary of the relationship of the five aspects of management

intrapersona: the student is concerned and disciplined to prioritize the order of management

bodily kinesthetic: the student is enabled for physical interaction with each of the other four team members

Intrapersonel when they do it themselves and then emotional and music as it is agame and teacher is playing the music.Bodily as they have to find their four friends .Linguist and spatial as they have to recognize the list.

sounds like a good exercise. I have students that get really stressed out during the last few weeks of the quarter just like now.

The music maps to Musical
The finding of others involves intrapersonal comm
The arranging in order hits logical and kinestic as there is movment
Understanding your own stip is Interpersonal
Linguistic would be in the discussions to arrange the group in the right order
Naturalistic? I guess the experience itself?

using different learning channel in order to pass on the informations and monitoring the way they are received

In my opinion, this exercise maps to all but one of the seven multiple intelligences in the following ways:
Interpersonal-the students must communicate with all other students to determine who has the missing stress management steps.
Logical/Mathematical- The students must use logic to put the steps in a order.
Spatial/Visual-The students are moving around the room, looking at the steps of other students.
Musical- The instructor is playing music while the exercise is performed. The students mood will be affected by this music.
Linguistic/Verbal- The students must talk to each other student to determine which step they have and collect the step if applicable.
Intra personal-The student must reflect on the meaning of stress management and steps to reduce or manage stress.
Bodily-Kinesthetic- The students are moving through the room and touching the steps held by other students.
Emotional- The students are asked to do this quickly. This may provoke an emotional response or excitement. In addition, the students are competing for a prize which also will evoke an emotional response for both the winners and losers.
Naturalist- This multiple intelligence does not seem to be part of this exercise.
Existential-The purpose of this exercise is clear.

In my opinion, this exercise maps to all but one of the seven multiple intelligences in the following ways:
Interpersonal-the students must communicate with all other students to determine who has the missing stress management steps.
Logical/Mathematical- The students must use logic to put the steps in a order.
Spatial/Visual-The students are moving around the room, looking at the steps of other students.
Musical- The instructor is playing music while the exercise is performed. The students mood will be affected by this music.
Linguistic/Verbal- The students must talk to each other student to determine which step they have and collect the step if applicable.
Intra personal-The student must reflect on the meaning of stress management and steps to reduce or manage stress.
Bodily-Kinesthetic- The students are moving through the room and touching the steps held by other students.
Emotional- The students are asked to do this quickly. This may provoke an emotional response or excitement. In addition, the students are competing for a prize which also will evoke an emotional response for both the winners and losers.
Naturalist- This multiple intelligence does not seem to be part of this exercise.
Existential-The purpose of this exercise is clear.

Wow, what a question! Let's see:
Interpersonal Intelligence learners would love this exercise because it requires individuals to talk and interact with others; Logical/Mathematical learners would enjoy the part about putting the steps in order; the Spatial/Visual learner may enjoy that each of their teammates corresponds to 1 of the steps involved; Musical learners would enjoy the fact that music was played that mirrored the frantic but fun task at hand; Bodily kinesthetic learners would enjoy that they are being active & moving around; Emotional learners may enjoy the fun & busy emotiveness of the music that mirrors the activity; and the Existential learner may respond to the fact that they are given a purpose and need to find others to complete their purpose.

I think that the Intrapersonal & the Linguistic/Verbal learners may be a little less engaged. The Intrapersonal learner may be put off that they are being forced to interact with a group instead of completing the activity alone; the Linguistic/Verbal learner may be put off since they are not required to read or auditorily listen in order to learn from the exercise. However, a 2nd/follow up activity may be able to target these 2 Learning Intelligences.

Good job Marissa and a great observation!

Jane davis
ED107 Facilitator

You are moving - kinestetic
Listening to music - auditory
arranging people - visual/spatial
communicating - interpersonal
examining introspective questions - intrapersonal
math and nature aren't here-

I found this to really work and will use it from now on.

I believe that for some it would be quite stressful because of the sense of urgency, fast and frantic music, and the immediacy of the situtation. To others, the recognition of the stress may aid them in dealing with the assignment. Others might feel stimulated and challenged by the music and utilize the situation as a "winning" situation.

In my classes, public speaking, we deal a lot with the stresses of getting up in front of a group and delivering information. Many students find it challenging and exciting, while others barely contain their nervousness. We practice techniques for changing the negative energy to positive benefits.

I hope this answers your question.

Interpersonal- the students find the 4 other students who complete their list and then have to decide/agree on the order of the steps.

Logical/mathematical- Determine the correct order of the 5 steps.

Spatial/visual- the students arrange themselves in the correct oreder, based on the steps from their individual cards.

Musical- Music is played while the students find their classmates and determine on their order.

Intrapersonal- each student starts by working alone to find their other group members.

Bodily/kinesthetic- The students move around the room to find their four partners and then arrange themselves in order.

The question doen't include all of the intelligences, but this is how I would map the last three.

Emotional- the music is fast and frantic which could affect happiness or a state of urgency. The activity is fun and there is a reward or prize.

Naturalist- 10 deep breaths of air.

Existential- the students undertand their purpose during the exercise.

The last two are weak examples, but it is possible to map this activity to all ten of the multiple intelligences.

Because I teach Psychology, I am constantly aware that the material I present may not be presented in the best possible way that all students learn. Thus I try to have various activities and teaching methods to try and cover as many of the learning styles as possible. It is a challenge for me, but such a reward when everything is acknowledged by the students. This happens during the exam and I know that they have at least learned to pick the right answer.

Intake styles- I try to use all three styles during each class. I show them visuals and documentary, give lecture, as well as some game or experiment.
The multiple Intelligence-
Interpersonal- The lab assesment presentations are done in groups.
Logical/Mathematical- In between the lecture, I pause and give them questions to answer. They have to do some calculations, think logically in order to come to the conclusion. When they deduce some aspect, their inter/intra personal skills are polished also.
Spatial/Visual- I provide them information from current news, they have to visualize after that they have to conclude.
Musical- I try to tell them to use their skills(song writing, singing) and do their presentation.
Linguistic/Verbal-Students answer essay type of questions in quizzes and exams. I give them option of presenting or writing a paper.
Intrapersonal-Paper writing, some quizzes are done individully.
Bodily kinesthetic- I move them around for group quizzes.

Sign In to comment