Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Strategies for Increasing Student Motivation

What are some strategies for increasing student motivation?

When I was a student, I became more motivated when the instructor asked me for insight or feedback or insight. It made me be more prepared for class that day and to ask more questions and therefore learn more from that lesson.

I also tend to pull from my own experiences, and I remember how it felt when the instructor would allow students to talk through their lecture or talk while another student was trying to answer a question posed by the instructor...I thought it was disrespectful. In my syllabus, I add a section for classroom etiquette, which addresses such issues as talking out of turn in class, talking on/texting with cell phones, interrupting others while they are talking, etc., and I go over this section thoroughly on the first day of class. While covering this section of the syllabus, I ask the students if they will give any other examples of being rude in class and I usually get a lot more examples than I list in the syllabus. The students tend to be pretty proud of themselves at this point, because they are given the opportunity to expound upon the syllabus, the culture of the classroom environment and they are being allowed to "own it" a little by showing, through their own examples, that they know how they are supposed to act in class.

Debbie,
Good to hear you have a model to follow based upon your own positive experience as a student. Build upon and use all the strategies that you have had exposure to and with your own creativity you will have a tool box of teaching that contains all kinds of "tools" to get the job done.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Miriam,
You have hit upon one of my big issues in class. Lack of respect and using a cell phone in class are two things that I deal with right up front, just as you do. I really like your approach because you are letting your students have fun with the examples while making clear the behavior expectations. The stage is set for a great class with this method.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Yes. I agree cell phones are not permitted during class time by myself or the students. When working in a computer lab, I also ask that facebook not be used.

Kevin,
I am with you on your policies. I want the attention of the students to be focused on the course not their outside issues.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Teaching students to overcome their fear of failure and create a life long love of learning will lay the groundwork for motivation to excel in any endeavor they undertake in life.

Ted,
A very well made point. Internal motivation is so powerful and can be lifelong if an individual truly believes in their abilities and skills.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

My approach to cell phones seems to be different from most of you. FIrst I must say that all of my students are adults who are expanding on their careers. That being said, my policy is simply turn the phone on silent as to not disturb others if it goes off. However if you do get a call, and you feel it is important then please take it outside and not disrupt the class setting. Quietly leave the room and handle your business before returning.

As an Instructor at the school I graduated from a short time ago. Like many I try to use My past experience to motivate students. For Me that would be the fact that I quit my secondary eduation the first time I enrooled in it(in 1983). Using the example of the many different jobs, not carrers,I have had since that time.By not finishing my carrer training the first time it has been a financial struggle since.

In the current "Facebook" generation, an excellent method for motivating has always been engagement. Setting an environment where the student needs to engage with the material, the instructor, and their fellow students. The current student population is almost always consistently engaged by their world, by increasing the level of interaction and engagement, we can increase their interaction and motivation.

Bryan,
Nice respectful way to handle a situation that can be challenging.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Tim,
You are a great resource to and for your students as a result of your own career path. This really helps I am sure as you talk to your students and share with them the value of the course content.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

One strategies i use to motivation students is the use of ice breaker. To show the students that they have a lot in common. That seems to bring them all together.

Bronzel,
I use them in my class as well for the reasons you state. They really help to get students involved in the class and working with each other.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Bryan, that is a great and respectful protocal for the use of cell phones. I tell my students the same. I too have a family and have explained that my cell phone will remain in my bag on silent. When we take breaks is when I check mine for emergencies.

It is important to relay to the students that there are a lot of employers that do not for any reason allow cell phones, and by us having these polices will help teach them and help them to understand procedures.

My students are at a Career College. Therefore, I motivate them by relating how the subject matter relates to their future profession and give an example, when possible, when I utilized that knowledge on the job.

Terry,
You are helping to connect the dots between the classroom and the content you are sharing with them. They are going to make use of that content in their careers so the more they see the value of it the better off they will be in terms of both the course and their work.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

How you can increase student motivation is by getting them involved in the assignment in groups or one on one interaction. Also by creating some excitement in the subject.

Sign In to comment