Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Critical Characteristics of New Literacy | Origin: ED134

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Literacy is Not an Option --> Critical Characteristics of New Literacy

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

The multiple senders and multiple receivers for information literacy is an important distinction. Rather than have students consider patient teaching for just a single patient, perhaps they could consider how they would share an annotated set of resources for patient teaching (and address not only patient questions but questions from family), how would they keep their own nursing information current, what do students thing are the best means for making sure patients know information prior to leaving the hospital (or office, or other care setting), how would they handle if a patient came in and had already done some preliminary research, how would they help patients feel comfortable enough to ask questions about CAM and other different modalities of care. While this isn't necessarily within library science as a field, it is within information literacy, and librarians work at staying information literate--also, knowledge is becoming more interdisciplinary, and taking advantage of that interdisciplinary flow helps keep short-sightedness and inefficiency at bay. 

Technology brings a bevy of new opportunities as well as new challenges to literacy and learning.  It definitely provides opportunity for more breadth and depth of learning and access to multiple views at your fingertips.  However, it also requires users of technology for learning to develop and improve their critical thinking skills to determine if the source of the information is reliable and accurate.

The New literacy encompass the use of technology. It still require the tranfer of information and the use of literacy. Without listening,speaking, writing and reading no information can be passed along. However new technology all sender to send to multiple recievers quickly but it still ramains that basic literacy is required for comprehension of information.

Technology just may be the way to our young listeners.

With new technology advancing so quickly the traditional literacy compass is outdated because of how connectivity can now be applied in such a vast Communication Flow. There are no longer just one sender and one receiver and students are aware of these changes. As a teacher, I need to update my connectivity back to properly help students understand how new literacy can be used in the communication flow.

Technology is the future of learning.

digital environment is our student's literature and video games are the stories that they are learning.

I learned that literacy is important.

I learned that literacy is multi-deminional.

I think we naturally consider communication from a audio or written perspective, so it was interesting to learn about new literacy and visual literacy specifically. In graphic communications, visual literacy is a massive component of successful design, and more than ever connectivity is a standard educational element. I'd love to teach my students about how connectivity and literacy are connected, hopefully to propogate further investigation and interest in literacy skills.

I learned that although we already use multiple ways to communicate (send messages) we need to be sure to be intentional about how many different ways we send messages. Messages can be received via email, text messages, video, audio, etc. Technology is ever-evolving and we need to find ways to use technology to send and receive messages. Technology offers new ways to communicate literacy.

Advances in technoogy are meant to make our lives easier.  Should advances in media technology make gaining literacy easier?

As long as the information is presented in easily digestible chunks, or interactions with other learners makes comprehension fun, balancing  aspects of literacy is tricky since preferece usually goes to the most easily consumed.

Technological advances have also changed how we access information and disseminate it. 

Technology can be a key factor in obtaining information and helping students.

New literacy is so much more far reaching and multidementional than the "old" literacy.  However, as has been already posted, the students must consider the source of the information.

I teach a drawing class and with tech these days it makes it so nice. I can make videos for students to review anytime and get help. Makes life lots easier.

Even though New Literacy gives people a way to communicate via different methods with several people, the aspects of literacy, such as "listening," comprehension, and writing still apply so that communication is cohesive and understandable. This is struggle with all of the new online modalities offered. 

Visual Representation is essential in helping understand the logical flow and organization of the presented information. When introducing "new literacy," you are building on the foundation of traditional literacy, and for the content to be delivered and comprehended, they must be fluid in their relationship. Technology is a tool that must be used in correlation with reading, writing, listening, and speaking.

There seems to be a certain disconnect between my younger students and myself brought on not by age, but by technological aptitude. While telecommunication as a whole has certainly revolutionized the means of literacy, it is important that literacy still plays an important role of everyday life. It has not disintegrated with the advent of hypertext and the webpage, but instead has evolved with it, for better and for worse. This course has told me that in order for instructors to maintain literacy standards within the classroom, they must be open to the changes that have been brought on with it, something I certainly must implement in my own classes. Utilizing webpages with adequate resources and a concise logical flow will help students grow in their current education.

Sign In to comment