Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Action and Expression | Origin: ED133

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Universal Design for Learning --> Action and Expression

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I came into this course with my own particular framework for learning, my own challenges, and my own prescriptions.   Teaching has provided me with experience observing the limitations of others. Examining that experience against the concepts in this course, has informed me to be more aware of when cognitive disability may manifest. The application is to proactively work to help students create their own workarounds.

I especially appreciate the information on executive function as it incorporates teaching strategoes that allow the students to become aware of their own strengths and limitations, devlelop learning goals, and formulate a plan to achieve those goals.  All of this would likely require the support and guidance of the instructor, but I believe true learning will occur when students become more responsible for their own learning and teachers/faculty instructors can act more as a guide and a resource.

For me, it comes down to approaching the student from where they are, their own perspective and frame of reference. To tailor the learning activities around the student's needs. To help facilititate the executive functions of the student so that ultimately she is responsible for her own learning and is equally as able to navigate, control, and assess learning. 

Reply to Mel Henderson's post:I agree, approaching the student from their own perspective and frame of reference makes it easier to help facilititate the executive functions for the student to be responsible for their her own learning.

I learned quite a bitfrom this module! I'm most interested in working with assistive technology in my future courses and making my class more inclusive and accessible through technology. I also look forward to employing the methods to motivate students to make and track their own goal progression. Autonomy is the way of the future, and I think giving students the opportunity to set a realistic goal is a great way to engage them and demonstrate what it's like to be in the field and real world where you need to be self-motivated.

Developing goals are essential since it is the ultimate destination of your learning. However, the goal must be realistic, can be repated and tested and can be applied to reality.

Developing goals that are realistic and manageable is indeed very important for the students. I believe that this module has opened my eyes for another layer of teaching. As an educator, it is essential to prepare the students to be ready in the real world situations and yes setting the achievable goals is one of the key to success. I will also be mindful when I assign the tasks for my students in the future to ensure that all students have equal access and equal opportunities to complete and presents the tasks in whichever way they prefer.

Goal setting helps get the student invested into learning. 

I think that the supported goal setting and the opportunities for physical movement lend themselves well to the CTE classroom. The principles of UDL have relevance in any classroom, but I think the framework would be easiest to implement in a hands-on learning, project-based learning environment.

I learned I need to sharpen my understanding of assisted technology.

It is important for instructors to be flexible.

Within this module of understaning multiple means of action and expression, I learned quite a lot in terms of how students access materials and the importance of allowing for flexiblity in how students show their understanding and mastery of the conent. I espeally find the executive functioning section very important to allow students the "buy in" to their learning through personalized goals and giving authentic and timily feedback to students in imparitive.

So important to keep in mind that all students learn differently and we need to try and keep an open mind on how we can help them in anyway we can with different learning platforms and strategies.

In reflection, I was surprised to see how many elements of UDL I already have within my courses. This was a surprise since I have not studied UDL until now. 

As a culinary arts instructor, I find it hard to find new ways to deliver content in various ways for understanding. I revert to the verbal demonstration with video and pictures to assist. I'm excited to incorporate new delivery forms after familiarizing myself with assisted technology. 

goals seem to commit the student to continue trying for completion.

I appreciate the information in Executive Functioning. I don't know that I've really thought about what it entails even though I use the term frequently. I like the idea of having students set their own goals (instead of the instructor) so that they can get more practice at it.

I think it is vital to consider various modalities for learners to express what they've learned. We have so many better options than pencil and paper yet so many teacher still rely on this format. I love that CTE easily lends itself to alternate assessment and hands-on activities.

This has me thinking about where executive functioning comes into play for my classes. In our second-year classes especially, this information is naturally coming through project management assignments. I need to figure out how to better and more explicitly build it into my first-year classes. 

Sign In to comment