Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Introduction to Universal Design for Learning (UDL) | Origin: ED133

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Universal Design for Learning --> Introduction to Universal Design for Learning (UDL)

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I had a professor in college that incorporated all learning styles in her presentation. I am a kinstetic, audible and sight learner. To me when you understand your students and how they learn then you can adjust accordingly to make the learning experience more rewarding. It requires you to understand your students and the only way to do that is to talk with them when you have opportunities. Now if you have a class that's increadibly big then you have to do things in class differenly. This means each person is going to have to figure out how they are going to incorporate this and be flexible.

I am new to the concept of universal design for learning, so I am currently just working to understand the concepts so that I can apply them to my curriculum development and daily lesson plans.  

As an occupational therapist who works to remove barriers for people to access occupations and activities that bring them purpose and value, the concept of universal design makes sense and seems to be a worthy pursuit in the classroom and curricular design. 

Reply to Angela Zaugg's post: I am also new to the concept of universal design for learning. I am looking forward to applying this framework to my daily lesson plans. 

I try to make my curriculum as inclusive as possible, but I know there's always room for improvement. I really like the UDL framework concept and how it proposes to meet the needs of diverse learners. I'd like to incorporate the flexible, accessible, and engaging instructional materials to my courses, and offer students more variety in how they can express their ability and problem solving.

It is challenging and may be vague for those who are new to this concept but i think this can be implemented with practice and repetition.

After the first unit, I discvover that UDL makes a lot of sense for most of my students in the ESL environment. I am planning to implement this framework into the online leaning platform whcih somehow turn out to be somewhat challenging at this point since some students do not have a technological knowlege on top of language barriers. I hope to learn more about UDL and be able to apply this framework in my future lessons.

UDL helps CTE instructors maximize "Access and Equity" for all CTE Learners. 

Like any new learning tool you have to understand the core concepts and principles then be flexible to implement the teaching process.

really appreciating these new concepts of both being the teacher and student simultaneously.

I'm in my second year and I have learned that the best results are from presenting , kinesthetic, audible, and sight. And the bad thing is that it's hard for me to pick up what some students are.

UDL seems like an incredibly humane approach to learning. By offering mulptiple ways to access content and choice in how the learning is displayed, students will feel more engaged in the class and take more ownership for their learning. Win win!

Universal Design for Learning allows instructors to increase differentiation of instruction.

It is important for instructor to have a universal design for teaching.

Discussion Question: what have you learned about UDL and how you intend to apply it.

After completing this first module, I have learned that the UDL approach to curriculum and pedagogy meets each learner at their personal level. It allows each learner the flexiblity to learn, engage, and show their mastery in content. The backbone of UDL is looking at the whole child, their struggles, their strenths, and their learning goals and thus giving them individualed support and guidence through their learning journey. While in theory UDL has a lot of potential and prospect of success, I struggle to wrap by brain around how to implement and organize a class around this flexible structure as I am one that needs organization, deadlines, etc to thrive. This learning modality feels very overwhelming to incorporate and I hope in the following modules I learn how education professionals have made this work in their CTE content areas.

UDL can assist educators in providing equality within the classroom so that all students have the opportunity to learn

I am still working through this concept, but I can see that once I figure out my comfort zone that I will be able to improve my approach to teaching.

This is all new to me.  Looking forward to learning more so that I can apply UDL in my classroom

I have actually seen this udl in my traing here with cte. Lots of the trainings give the the read out load option which I love and some don't. I learn best by listening not reading. 

Comment on Chris Napier's post: Chris and those a major focus of Perkin V.

Sign In to comment