Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Exit Interviews

I feel that exit interviews are extremely important, but yet it is rarely possible to set up with student's that withdraw from school. How would you suggest setting up exit interviews for withdrawn students?

Jennifer,

I am in complete agreement that it is extremely difficult to do an in-person Exit Counseling with the student that withdraws by never returns to class. It has been my experience that reaching out to these withdrawn students and requesting that they return to the campus for an exit interview rarely works. The best suggestion I have is for the campus to clearly document that the Exit Material was prepared and shipped to the student's most current address.

I wish you the best in your continued online educational process.

Sincerely, Chyrl

I also agree, that it is difficult to get a withdrawn student to return to complete the exit interview. I also prepare the exit interview packet with a note to call me if they have any questions. I mail the package certified mail, to have in the students file.

Best wishes,
kathy Arsenault

Kathy,

That is a very thorough process to use and hopefully the students will contact you if they have questions. The students that just disappear are the most difficult ones to reach out to once they have ceased to attend. I encourage you to try all tactics to get the student to review and ask questions related to the withdrawal and exit interview process.

Best wishes in your continued online Financial Aid education process.

Sincerely, Chyrl

Calling the withdrawn student sometimes work. I have found that in a few cases they have responded to phone calls and I have had a few who have responded to coming back to the school to complete exits.

One other way would probably be to arrange exit group sessions and invite the students back to attend.

Mailing exit letters may still be the best solution to students who withdraws without notification to the school.

Sharon,

All of these items are beneficial to insure that students are provided with an opportunity to receive important information related to their student borrowing. It has been my experience there is not a "one size fits all" in the exit process and one must be open to tryng new options.

Have a great day and continued success in all of your endeavors.

Sincerely, Chyrl

Mailing information to them

Allen,

It is difficult to insure that students receive, review and understand their Exit Counseling. An in-person Exit Counseling is the best since it enables you to really speak to the student and answer their questions. The importance of strong counseling is a true benefit to students that are exiting the institution.

Best wishes in your continued FA education online.

Sincerely, Chyrl

Majority of schools provide transcripts or clock hours (proof of training) to withdrawn students in order for them to complete their training at the same or a different school. A way to improve the student's cooperation in completing the exit interview would be retaining the proof of training until all requirements have been completed by the student.

Denise,

This is an good plan; however, an insitution is required to provide Exit Counseling to a loan borrower within a specific timeframe. Therefore, you ust insure timely copletion and attempt to deliver to the student. Always retain proof of the exit documentation and providing the Exit Counseling to the student.

Sincerely,

Chyrl

In person exit interviews are difficult at best. We have found that the more ways you communicate to the studnets the importance of the exit interview the more likely you will have for success. We email, text, phone call, send post cards, etc. We are also giving graduation trinkets to students that show up to the exit interview to encourage others to come.

Rod, It sounds like you guys are doing just about everything you can to ensure your students understand the importance of completing an in-person exit interview. By doing this those student will not be suprised when they receive notification from their lenders that their loan payments are due.
Best of luck in completing your online program, David

An idea would be to let students know upfront at the point of enrollment, etc. that an exit interview will be required even if they choose to withdraw from the institution. Students will know upfront that they will eventually need to have an exit interview.

Jacqueline,

Exit counseling contains extremely important information for the student and the more you inform the student of the importance of exit counseling - the greater the chance of them looking for it.

Sincerely, Chyrl

We tell the students from the begining that if they graduate or drop they must come in to do an exit. I believe that the key is to have a supportive academic team.

Marlene,

Insure compliance in this area is dependent upon all departments within the college being involved in the student's progress. It is best to have a very open policy with students. If you lay the foundation in the beginning in with the student he or she will be more prone to check with College Officials before making a difficult decision.

Sincerely, Chyrl

I make the student aware of the exit counseling requirements while they are completing their entrance counseling. I also put a positive spin on it by letting them know that their financial situation at the time they withdraw or complete their training will help them choose which payment option will be most beneficial to them. This seems to resonate with them.

Catherine,

It is important in the beginning of the relationship with the student to establish the different requirements throughout the life-cycle of the student. It is not always easy to discuss the exit process at the begining of the process but it is important. The more knowledge you provide the student the greater success you will be able to expect. Your postiive spin is very good and should keep the student motivated to close the loop of their life-cycle by participating in exit counseling.

I hope you continue your online education in other areas. Have a great day.

Sincerely, Chyrl

I agree, exit interviews are very important but it is very dificult for us to reach the student. We are an online school, when the student is dropped, they no longer communicate with us. They do not answer phone calls or emails. This is frustrating because we have counseled the student during the entrance interview regarding the importance of the exit interview. All we can do is document all the intents to contact the student.

Thamee,

I hear this same comments from other online institutions and the best you can do is document the creation and submission of the Exit Material to the student. You might want to look into online Exit Counseling options available through the Direct Loan Website. Your students must be comfortable with online processes so this may be a good option for your students.

Sincerely, Chyrl

Sign In to comment