Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Life Skills Classes

The topic discussed on Life Skills Classes is critical for many students who are coming straight from high school. This group of students may not have a true picture of the importance of budgeting money, managing credit accounts, and paying off debts.

I'm not sure that this area could be an actual "class"; however, a 1 or 2 hour "workshop" would definitely be a feasible time period. With this being said a few questions that I had are: 1) At what point should this "workshop" be offered since most students will have a full course load? 2) Should this "workshop" be mandatory for all students? 3) Who is responsible for running this workshop?

We are considering creating an "orientation" for 4 days prior to their first class/course. We find that even though most of our students are beyond high school (average age 27-30) that budgeting money, managing credit accounts, etc. is still not understood - it is just assumed that they know - and MANY do not. This would be part of this "orientation" along with career development, etc.

In our environment students are more on the creative than logical side of the brain for the most part. Younger students, although they should have been exposed to a check-book and reconciliation in high school, are out on their own for the first time and trying to juggle real life issues with bills due and limited, if any, income. Even someone who has done well with financial instruction from a book point of view can run into many issues they did not imagine while balancing their school check book. We have begun offering some words of wisdom shortly after classes begin, giving an over-view of bank reconciliations, budgeting and a smattering/foreshadowing of more involved issues such as partnership, Limited Liability and other types of corporations. We've also added another round of this kind of information during the last week of courses (ours is a lock-step program) when the idea of creating and maintaining your own business and dealing with others in the industry is a part of the curriculum and has started to be a reality for students as they intern in the industry. These workshop type classes promote questions and instill some ideas that many of them have never had to think about in their lives, but are about to become survival skills. These introductions are intended to serve as a base, not full course materials for the students to use in their real-life world, initiating them to situations and vocabulary they might not have otherwise encountered living mostly in the creative side of the industry. The rude awakening is that they will encounter loans and interest payments and lack of cash flow to cover expenses as they begin their new careers. These financial obligations include their student loans as well as obligations they may have to family or friends who helped with their school or living expenses. I implied earlier that younger students could benefit from this kind of information, but in our industry, I see many established members who lack reasonable knowledge of financing and will face the same risks in the marketplace that can destroy their career. Again, student loans are the original and most basic introduction into the world of financing your business.

Ruth,

I agree that these are “survival skills” being taught. No matter what the person’s age, it cannot be assumed that anyone has ever taken the time to teach them the basics to succeed in life. There is so much information out there it can be overwhelming. In some cases the biggest hurdle can be in just knowing where to start. Offering students the basic skills needed to overcome the everyday challenges they will face puts them on the path to success.
Thank you for an excellent post!

Cheryl Kesson

We have discussed many times on our campus about implementing a "life skills' class, not just financial, but dealing with issues in life in general. We run into the same problem, when do we offer this with a full schedule that the students are already taking. We have discussed making it mandatory, but have not been able to implement that, and if we make it an optional thing, we find that the students who need it the most are the ones who do not show up. How do you get the students that actually need the help to show up?

We have started putting reminders and posters around the campus and in the admin offices also. We have had many positive comments on the posters and have found that these lead to discussions with the students about their financial aid which has lead to a better understanding for the students.

Thomas,

I agree that it is very difficult to fit a life skills class(es) into an already full student schedule, so perhaps you could consider offering some life skills training throughout the program in certain already existing classes--you could try it for a few minutes in any class, really, provided the instructor was agreeable.

Some schools that schedule separate, optional life skills classes attract students with food or the chance to win a prize. Those techniques seem to increase participation every time!

I really like the posters and other information you place strategically around campus. You are setting the tone that you really think the information is important and that you care, and you are sending that subliminal message every time a student walks by the poster or notice. It's obviously working, since you already have students talking about them and promoting each other's understanding! Great work!

Diana Mateer

This workshop should be offered at the very start of the student entrance into school. Done in small modules ( 1 hr )covering one topic at a time( loan repayment, budgeting etc. ). Many students are still at home with parents taking care of them financially, but they still should learn the concept of how money is earned and the responsibilites of paying bills.
The workshops can be ran by a member representative from each team, faculty, financial aid, admissions. The workshop should be mandatory and can possibly be done by career services.

Ceola,

You have made several excellent points! Starting at the beginning of enrollment offers you the chance to reach out to students who may not complete. Offering this in shorter 1 hour modules allows you to hold a students interest and not overwhelm with too much information at once.

For many students their loans are their first step into the world of finance and teaching them budgeting tools now can go a long way in their success with future repayment.

I think the idea of having Career Services involved is a great idea as it provides them with an early connection with the student and establishes a relationship that they can build on.

Thanks for a great post!

Cheryl Kesson

I also wanted to point out that local Banks are usually willing to assist with these types of classes. Our local bank is constantly coming to the school asking if they could do a presentation on finances. We also may write a list of topics we would like to them to discuss with the students and they are happy and willing to do these classes free of charge.

Justine,

This is a great suggestion, thank you for sharing! I like the idea of the interaction with local community businesses. This is a great chance for students to learn about personal finances and even get themselves established with checking and savings accounts.

Cheryl Kesson

Justine,

Thank you for this excellent suggestion!

We can find many opportunities to partner with resources outside of our institutions. Traditionally many FA offices use borrower education materials from lenders and guarantors, but as you point out, valuable information can be found elsewhere. In addition to banks, libraries can be a great resource. If your institution does not have a librarian, the staff at the local public library may be able to help put together a list of websites and databases where students can find useful information.

Kellee Gunderson

I true believe that a Life skills class who help all student. I would like to start one at my campus for both new and older students. The students that are coming for high school need to know the important of money management and the older student need to be reminded about having good money management skills and preparing for a future outside of the classroom.

I agree that such classes or workshops would benefit all students! Younger students may be setting up household budgets for the first time, and older students may have already found that unwise purchasing and credit decisions make daily life harder.
In addition to the basics of money management, some schools put together a list of local resources that cover anything from non-profit credit counseling and tax help to healthy, low-cost recipes to feed a large family.

Rosezza,

You make a good point. No matter what your age some money management and life skills courses can be beneficial. Whether you are just starting out and learning these things for the first time or getting them as a refresher it is a great opportunity to learn skills that will help you throughout the rest of your life.

Cheryl Kesson

We have student orientation 1-2 weeks before our classes start. We split the students into groups and one of the stations they attend is a life skills session that one of our instructors presents. If the student can't make it to orientation we do have sessions they can attend after they start.

Melissa,

I hope that these sessions have been beneficial to your students! It is especially good that you make the effort to reach everyone- by offering additional sessions you demonstrate both the importance of the information and your willingness to be available when they need you to be.

Kellee Gunderson

Life skill classes are a very good thing to try to implement. I do it in my own way with students when they come in to chat. I talk about budgeting and willing to give them time to set up a simple excel sheet for each pay check to make sure the all bills are paid on time.

Carol,
I think it is terrific that you can spend time with each student teaching them some budgeting skills. Trying to put together a budget can seem intimidating for some and if you show the process does not have to be difficult they are more apt to stick with it.

Cheryl Kesson

I am sure that your students appreciate your efforts! It is startling how many students have no idea how to track their spending or estimate monthly expenses.

I like the idea of broadening classes or workshops to include workplace skills such as teamwork, presentation skills, basic computer literacy(Word, Excel, etc.), dealing with difficult customers, and handling stress. Not all of this may be feasible, but we try to locate resources so that we can at least refer students to information or organizations that can assist them.

Sign In to comment