Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Compliance/representation

I am more comfortable now than when I began the course as far as representation is concorned. I have heard a lot of rumors since I began my employment here about what can and cannot be said to a student. I now think I have a firm grasp on the concept of compliance.

Student wants to bring her mom to school.

I have an unusual request for accommodations on my desk. A student is requesting that she be allowed to bring her mom to school. She wants her mom to sit with her during all academic classes and wants her mom to help her to work on "appropriate material." The student is diabetic and believes that she needs her mom to help her manage her symptoms. The student also has a learning disability and believes her mom would be the best person to assist her with note taking and understanding the material. Do you believe this is a "reasonable" accommodation? Why… >>>

Veteran with PTSD and Education

The notes from CM251 states that higher education needs to find a way to identify and deal with the students who may not be appropriate to the postsecondary environment without excluding students with psychological disabilities who are capable of functioning well in college. I agree that we must address the needs of Soldiers who are deemed not fit or inoperable because they suffer from depression, PTSD or other psychological concerns. But how do we do it without discriminating against those with mental or psychological disorders. Opportunities are needed without regards to unproven and feared ideology about their ability to function… >>>

Lack of accommodations

As I have an older sibling who is legally blind, has 70% loss of hearing, and who was diagnosed as ADD as a child, I feel that more colleges and universities, even the one I work for should do more to make accommodations for students with disabilities. How can we expect to make a more fair and just world for "ALL" while we still exclude and cause discriminatory actions in the workplace for individuals who have had "limitations" while not being given reasonable accommodations?

Misrepresentation

I found the information on misrepresentation interesting from a standpoint that many colleges and universities feel they mus put theie institution in the best light possible in order to recruit new students. That being said however, I fell it is a disservice to a potential student to be mislead into thinking that they will definitely gain employment after they graduate from a specific hight institution of learning. I think some institutions walk the line in implying such messages in their advertising. I also think that the recruitment process should uphold the professional integrity of the institution by answering question for protential… >>>

FERPA

It was very interesting to me to find out what "FERPA" meant and what it consisted of.  Again, being that I am an instructor, and do not or have not had the opportunity to be educated with all of the pertinent knowledge of student rights, etc., as well as the rights of a spouse or parent of a student.  I can say that I have truly learned a lot in this area of the education environment.

Inducements and Referrals

Offering an inducement to a student or prospective student to get a referral is a compliance violation. Why is it inappropriate to offer inducements to students or prospective students?

Compliance & Transparency

I think it is important to maintain the concept of transparency in business & within your professional role. Some would say that outcomes would not be as good, but I disagree. I think Concorde does right to be clear about the opportunities they provide students. Doing the right thing creates quality and trust amongst individuals & teams, both within the organization & the students who come to our organization looking for us to assist in providing quality health education.

Personal Service

I'm confused about tutoring being considered a "personal service." We very often provide individuals with diagnoses like ADHD or ADD tutoring as part of a success plan. If the student easily distracted in a 90 minute lecture they often request and legitimately need the one-on-one support to get all of the information. Isn't this required?

behaviorial disibilities

Shouldn't schools have a more detailed plan for students with behaviorial limitations, such as asbergers? This topic is rarely touched upon, and I feel that IEPs(individual education plans) that are implemented for these type of learners be carried throughout their college career as well.

Privacy vs. Confidentiality

I am puzzled by one of the statement's in "Maxwell's Highlights". I heard Maxwell say "A focus on privacy rather than confidentiality helps to protect students with disabilities from discrimination." As used in this statement, what is the difference between privacy and confidentiality?

Students' Personal Information

In addition to violating the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), what would be some consequences for the unauthorized disclosure or sharing of a student's personal information?

Is Compliance an Action or a Result?

It has been said that if you do the right thing and have students' best interest at heart, compliance is more of a result than it is an action. Please comment.

Using Superlatives

Why can the use of superlatives be ground for misrepresentation?

Presenting Information About Your School

Given the things we cannot say in our communications to prospective students, there is information that we must provide them so that they can make informed decisions about their education and training. What is the best way to remain compliant when presenting information about your school and its outcomes?

Testimonials

Why should testimonials for advertising not be solicited from current students?

Accurate Disclosures

Given that the content in your institution's Disclosures is heavily regulated by the state agency, accreditors, and the US Department of Education, what do you believe is the real benefit to accurately and precisely communicating information about your school, its programs and its outcomes?

The Consequences

The consequences of doing the wrong thing by mistake, or on purpose, can be severe. What do you think is the most serious consequence of not doing the right thing in your interactions with prospective students and students? Why?

Doing the Right Thing

What are some positive outcomes your school has seen by employees saying and doing the right thing in their interactions with prospective students and students?

Transparency and Trust

How does transparency build trust among your institution, its students, prospective students and the community at large?