Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Equal Access

Do you think there is ever a time when the functional limitations of a student's disability make it logically impossible to pursue certain fields? We know the law requires equal access for qualified students. Can a student's functional limitations leave them "unqualified"?

weel i feel all students should have the rights to equal access when it comes to their learning

Student's functional limitations can leave then unqualified. Therefore, I do think that there are instances where a student's disability makes it logically impossible to purse certain fields.

One example is a blind person flying a plane. Eye sight is essential for this particular career. Even with all the advance technology that we have today, a blind person would not be able to pursue a career of being a pilot.

Cindy ,
Interesting perspective. If we have a student with a disability who meets all the admissions criteria, but because of a disability may require accommodations which fundamentally alter the core competencies, technical requirements, program outcomes, then it may be a case where a particular field of study is not realistic for that student.

Sarah Smoger

Cynthia,
Agreed. As institutions of higher ed, we are obligated under the law to provide for equal access to all students.

Sarah Smoger

I do believe there may be some circumstances in which a student's disability makes it logically impossible to puruse a certain field. However, most times they are aware of their limitations and choose to not pursue that field. Everyone wants to be successful in what they do. However, with as much advancements technology has made, those limitations are becoming less and less. As a person with a physical disability, I have always lived my life with the motto "where there's a will, there's a way".

I do feel that each student requires equal access for their learning abilites, but as mentioned in an earlier comment sometimes you also have to be realistic in the demands of their chosen field and the ability to complete required tasks.

Kimberly,
I agree. There are so many factors which should be taken into consideration. No two students with the same disability have the exact same functional limitations in a classroom environment. Each student's case should be handled on an individual basis.

Sarah Smoger

Lisa ,
I have run into this several times in the past. Occasionally, a student's disability is such that even with accommodations, they are unable to meet the technical requirements and program competencies.

Sarah Smoger

I totally agree with that motto. I would like to share one of my best experiences as an educator. At a previous facility, I oriented and trained new licensed and non-licensed employees. I had the unique opportunity to train a deaf LPN. First, I was in awe of this accomplishment. As an LPN myself, I can't imagine how hard she had to work to reach her goal as a nurse. Through keeping the communication lines open as to what worked for her, myself and the rest of the class, was the key to the success of this training. When it was time for her to demonstrate using a Doppler, (instrument used to locate pulses), I had her put her hand on the machine to feel the vibrations of the pulses instead of hearing the pulses. That experience was one of those instructor "YES" moments!! So yes, "where there is a will, there is a way"!

Crystal,
I love this story! How wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

Sarah Smoger

Unfortunately yes...a wheelchair bound student may have difficulty in the healthcare industry.

Whenever a functional limitation requires accomedations beyond a reasonable dollar investment or causes a distraction to fellow students, or the instructor, I think these mitigating circumstances would qualify as a time in which the functional limitations of a student's disability make it logically impossible to pursue certain fields.

Yes. There are certain career choices which will simply not be a match/fit for a specific disability. This is when a student should be encouraged to be in a program where they have strong liklihood of career success post education.

I don't want my doctor having anything hindering him/her from performing my operation. His occupation through equall access in mandatory and common sense is mandatory in a situation like this

I do believe that students with functional limitations should be given the necessary tools that would put them on equal playing field however in cases where the class or job requires physical activity that the person cannot perform due their functional limitation. That also has to be taken into consideration.

As someone mentioned, I think it's a matter of common sense. For example, a student in a wheelchair would "most likely" not major in dance, but might change their creative arts path to theater. For students such as this, it's a matter of working with a great advisor and their school's disabilities office to find the best path.

Absolutely! The fact that some limitations would preclude an individual from carrying-out specific requirements mandatory for certain jobs, however, does not mean that the individual couldn't learn to do the job well! This is an lesson that needs be learned in all of our society! Just because you can do and are legally permitted to do does not mean that you should do!!!

In my opinion, I don't believe a person's functional limitations will make it "impossible" to pursue a certain field as it relates to education. The issue may arise in obtaining employment. It may be impossible for a person in a wheelchair to manage a restaurant, but it is not impossible for this person to earn a degree in management.

In some instances yes.

Sign In to comment