Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Mission, Values and Empowerment

In what ways do your school's Mission and Values empower you in your job responsibilities?

Training

This training course was very informative and easy to follow. I liked how it was set up and it was not to lengthy with information and not to many questions at each time.   

"Gifts" for Referrels

Are they appropriate? I don't think they are. Potentialstudents should not be attracted to a school by a friend that attends there and is promised a gift if they get them to enroll.

Practical Knowledge

I found the information in this course to be very practical and common sense in many cases.  I am glad that I had to take this course to get my agent's license because there are many differences from my Master's Degree in School Counseling.  The regulations and rules are very rigid and must be followed at all times!

Measuring Ethical Standards

I feel it is easy to measure ethical standards. The guidelines that states set are the ethical standards and can be measured. Do not mislead or exaggerate to students, do not hire ciminals, do not bride or promise things to certain individuals (students or employees), hire people qualified for the jobs...all of these things are set in place to control and meaure the ethics of the school.

Grants

Are admissions representatives able to tell you about grants available and how to go about getting them? As a former college student, I was always curious as to how people came across grants and were awarded money towards their education.

What happens to the student if the school becomes unaccredited?

If a student enrolls in an accredited institution with the assumption they will get a degree from an accredited institution, but the institution loses it's accreditation....does the student get their money back in order to apply at a new institution, do their credits transfer to an accredited institution in order to complete their degree, do they complete their degree from the unaccredited institution and do employers look at that, or are they just "stuck". It is not the student's fault it the school loses accreditation, so are their guidlines in place to protect them if this were to occur?

Non-monetary issues

When nonmonetary issues arise who do we report this too?

Innovation

Are there any new innovative ways FA will be handled in the future?

Regulations

How do upcoming regulations effect FA?

Attendence

We are a growing school, we had a student population of about 85 student about a year ago and now we have a 185 student, yea! With this we have a current attendance requirement of 90% so we are complaint with the DOE regulation but looking around at other schools i did not come across one school who has this high standards. The majority of then have 75-80 % requirement, can you clarify what is the industry standard which is complaint with the department of education.

Out of class work documentation

We are a school who recently converted our program from clock to credit due to which we have a out a class work component in compliance with the new DOE regulation. We are currently holding on to all the home works which were assigned and turned back to the instructor. we tried to digitally save it hoping to save some trees, but then we have few instructor who were not too excited about it then we went back to old school method to files all these papers in individual student folders. Do you have any suggestion on how to maintain… >>>

"if its not approved im not doing it...there is no need to reinvent the wheel"

The time that was put into the information contained in these training slides were very helpful. The information really hits home and its really does prove that if you follow what you have learned, you will become very successful at helping students change their lives...

FERPA

Interesting & informative information.  This reinforced knowledge from a consumer standpoint.

Can-Spam Act

If a high school rep is sending out e-mails to teachers to schedule an appointment to do presentations and they do not have an existing relationship does this fall under the can-spam act?

Prospective student and placement numbers

A student should have the right to know how many students who completed the program have been placed in positions that actually required the skils that they learned from the program. For example, a former law student should not be included in the placed percentages if he or she is employed at Sears in the men's wear department.

Disclosure of a Disability

We rely on our applicants to disclose any physical or mental disability that would impede their training. What happens when the disability is discovered after the applicant begins the program?

Financial Aid/Need

If it is determined that a student requires a sign-language interpreter in order to have equal access (at a cost of $80K), how does this get packaged as part of their financial aid?

Do not call overview

Why once a number is registered, marketing efforts involving calls to the number must cease within 31 days and not sooner or later?

Advertising

I was not aware that advertising under headings such as "Help Wanted" or "Job Opportunities" was prohibited