Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Stress Management

Managing stress is very important because stress has a way of effecting your health as well as your behavior. There are several was that I manage stress in my life. One way is that I pray and mediate. Also, I take scheduled breaks such vacation or just time spent at home. I encourage my students to do the same but make sure that they are scheduled and nothing will be lacking such as classwork.

Charlotta,
Handling stress is the ability to lead the balance in life that encourages good health habits, recreation,exercise, mental activity for fun, and spiritual rejuvenation.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Even though my job has its stresses, I try to look at what enjoyment brought me here in the first place. I try to go back to those roots often to revive and bring that enthusiasm back into the work place which in turn reduces the level of potential stress too.

Timothy,
This is a great technique. Bring yourself back to the rationale as to why you are where you are at today. What made you want to take this path. It rekindles the fire of enthusiasm for success.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Stress management is important, I agree. I experienced the side effects of a lack of stress management. During my undergraduate time, I developed stress induced acid reflux and back spasms. I had to learn how to manage my stress levels because these conditions are very uncomfortable and reflux can cause other conditions. I encourage my students to devise a plan of management so that they do not get so overwhelmed. I notice sometimes when the majority of my class are experiencing stressful lives I try to find a way to minimize that stress for the moment while sticking to the course material.

Keveka,

You are a senistive and epathetic person for your students. Good observations.

Dr. Gary Carlson

It is VERY important. Exercise is my main stress-buster; however, sometimes it causes me to have too much energy, which can elevate anxiety levels.

For this reason, I also need to incorporate more yoga and relaxation/breathing techniques as exercise isn't enough.

This course has alot of good pointers for starting some of those!

The balance in life is sometimes not always an attainable goal in the light of time constraints and outside interferences.Stress is like the domino effect of these interferences as each of the balances of life steps fall short of achievement.Reevaluation and planning would certainly empower an individual to achieve this goal.Awareness of the issue is the beginning toward the optimal goal as many are so consumed with the stress that they cant see the "light at the end of the tunnel."

Alyson,
You are on the right track. Exercise does exactly the same to me. I need that calm down period. We all may do this in a different way. But doing it is important.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Mary,
Balance in our lives is a key to good health. We need to keep this step in our minds for curbing future health issues. We would not go a day without brushing our teeth or bathing but we seem to forget the things that could have long term affects on our body if not dealt with in a sensible way. This is not something that would be nice to do it is something that could change our lives.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Mental stress is a new thing to me in this stage of life I am in right now. I did not feel mental stress when i was younger because I did not pay attention to the future, I am married and have one child. I now have a new meaniing for stress. I will put some of these ideas to work.

Sign In to comment