Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Engaging Online Learners

I have completed this course!  I am incorporating the steps outlined when interacting with online learners, communicating coursework/assignments and providing feedback.  Simply addressing a student by name, then asking how he/she is doing is an excellent approach to getting a response.  Also, this course provided great insight regarding the importance of the "Working Alliance," this positive working relationships is how we gain and maintain the trust, rapport  and mutual agreement with our students.  

The ever-expanding virtual world is itself becoming a campus where instructors and students can connect at multiple points. Finding the most engaging way for each student  to make that connection can pose post both difficulties (many options) and ease (many options). Personally, I believe the bottom line is the engagement of the student. If they are interested, they will respond from any touch point. If they are not engaged, no matter where, what or how frequently you reach out, the efforts will fall on deaf "fingers". 

I have been teaching in the online environment for 7 or 8 years now and I have learned a great deal over that time. In some instances I have been out in front of change and in other instances I have unfortunately been behind it. I love what you are saying about using the student's name as you communicate with them. It is such a simple, yet effective way to help the student feel engaged and accepted. I love it!

Hi Beth,

I appreciate what you have shared! Like you, I feel that connecting with each individual student at some level helps to increase their participation. We need to be the "leaders" who set examples by posting each day. I think our presence in the class room each day tends to give them more initiative to do the same. Additionally, in the 1st week of class we should reach out to each student with a short telephone call to introduce ourselves and ask if they have any questions, and to let them know the best way to contact us if they do. This simple gesture gives them a sence of our actual presence, and leaves them feeling less isolated. Letting them know we care about their success really does go a long way. :)

Sign In to comment