Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Generational Differences

Recognizing generational differences is an important part of the communication cycle as is recognizing if someone is an introvert or extrovert. Should online Universities develop a software tool that would be used in the early on boarding of students that would serve as a personality type indicator (similar to Meyers Briggs but with the addition of generational differences in the use and attitude toward technology) ?     Then with your generational attitudes and other personality traits identified , map you to a list of critical success factors you will be responsible for while progressing through the online courses.  I would guess that there will be a core set of CSFs that are similar to all types while there will be unique CSF's that will develop based on your generation and personality.  

What are your thoughts?  Could this be a new research area in behavioral psychology and communication?  Would it help to elevate the success rate of students completing online degrees?  Would it enhance the teaching and student experience in the online environment?    

This is a great question. We are dealing with this very subject at my office right now. We are struggling with how to engage with "Millenials." There is a such a difference in working with this group than there is with other generations. There is no question in my mind that research in this particular area would extremely helpful. I know some research has been done with regards to this generation in the workplace, but I would love to see some in the area of edcuation and in particular, online education.

Sign In to comment