Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

When in doubt...

I have usual conversations in class about the technical execution of food. I find that it is highly relevant to keep a copy of Escoffier handy so that we can have a discussion that is based in fact. I find that the students have a better reaction to what I have to say if they know that it is not my opinion that I am giving them.

Cheyney,

It is a good to have a reference book handy to validate your teaching. It is also helpful to have individuals from the culinary/hospitality industry visit your class to speak and/or do a demo. More often than not, what they instructor has been delivering is then reinforced by an outside party, which has the end result of securing trust between student and instructor.

Jae Gruber

Escoffier and other trade manuals as well as culinary associated persons coming into the classroom are excellent ways to inspire and demonstrate techniques and opinions that are not solely generated by me. I also feel that if questions arise that I feel I am limited in the answer to that I let the students know that I will research the question further and follow up in the next class with a more detailed answer or create a short demo to answer the topic. This shows the students that I am willing to go the extra mile and do the same things that I ask of them as far as researching a topic and it demonstrats to them that the learning never stops or the thirst for more knowledge or expertise.

I agree with this method. Some students like having a second reference to validate the topic. Also, having a copy of Escoffier can lead to secondary or more questions that open up more curious discussion.

Eugene,

You make a very good point about continuous learning and lead by example in going the extra mile to give your students more detailed answers. It is helpful to have culinary associated persons talk to or demo for your students. It reinforces information that you are trying to convey and also gives them an opportunity to ask questions specific to the area of the industry in which the guest speaker is working.

Jae Gruber

Marie-Anne,

You make a very good point, whether the second reference is a book or perhaps a guest Chef or speaker!

Jae Gruber

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities