Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Roadmap to Culinary & Hospitality Success | Origin: ED322

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Introduction to Culinary Instruction --> Roadmap to Culinary & Hospitality Success

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I liked where they suggested discussing the importance of travel as a learning tool. I would like to  encouraged them eat the local style of food as well as visit local producers of food and farmers' markets. This would help with palate development or their knowledge of regional and global ingredients or cuisine.  A good suggestion from the lesson.

I will be using the suggestion of bringing in guest Chefs to help teach and also encouraging students to join groups to gain experience. 

It is important for Chef Instructors to stay current and relevant in the industry. We should be discussing a multitude of culinary career paths available while intermingling good cooking and good business. Enforce professionalism and talk to students about not just taking a job for the title, but for experience. Foster the relationship with career services.

I hope to have the students present a report on the orging of some popular foods.  They may be surprised to see where they came from and how they spread throughout the world.  The potatoe is a great example of what I used to think was a European vegetable but in fact it's from the Andean Mountain region.  Once the Europeans "discovered" it the potatoe spread thoughtout the world as it is so easy to use.  

Using a cellphone as a tool to allow studnetsto take pictures is a brillant idea. I do that currently inmy class. I also encurage them to go out and I suggest a list of places to go. Havingstudents discuss where they eat and share experience builds great team work 

Professional development for instructors is crucial and should be required. Although instructors in the high school and college setting have certain curricula to teach that has already been pre planned, having yearly professional development in the ever changing hospitality industry will help keep the instructors on their toes and understand the trends and changes happening and the expectations of their new and incoming students.

I agree that a chef instructor - or any kind of instructor - would need to stay trendy and up to date.  With the industry contantly changing, its valueable for the  next generation to see and understand it.  

I agree with some comments above about keeping instructors up to speed on curent food trends.  Visiting local restaurants, talking to local chefs, reading food articles, and generally keeping a finger on the pulse of the food world will allow instructors to continue to make class feel more relevant.

i agree with travel and trying the foods of that region as a major influence on learning.  The cellphone use is also a good tool during travel to photo different dining experiences.  This also impoetant for instructors so we can stay intuned to what is happening currently in the industry.

Everything has its place, after the basics are understood.  The use of technology and staying current with trends is key to being with the times. I like the ideas given to assist with ways to integrate projects or discussions in th eclass room. I also like the idea of students going to different volunteer events or restaurants to see if they are a good fit. This gives them hands on experiences that they can use to see where they would like to go. working in Europe fr 12 years has also given me the ability to speak about travel and how important that is on the culinary world

It is important to stay on top of current culinary/hospitality happenings and to always look for ways to expand your knowledge base. The more you know, the more you can share with your students. Sharing can encourage them to also develop a greater passion for the industry and deepen their curiosity. Plus, it makes the classroom fun and enjoyable when speaking to new trends and such. 

This module really is about a fun and inspiring part of a culinary program, learning the importance of professional behavior  will instill the foundation needed to work in the field no matter what position a student will fiind after graduation. Exploring career paths while in school helps a student to focus on potential jobs that will fit into their interests instead of just taking the first job that they find which might not be the path they desire. Students need to understand that culinary learning never ends and the program that they are in and hopefully finish is just the begaining. 

I think traveling is an important part of learning. Not just to see how other people eat,but how other people live and thrive in their community. This can be a few towns over, not just abroad. It's a great idea to encourage students to use technology to learn new trends and also what is classic, which they may not know. I love seeing the photos of dishes that my student took and I urhe them to share with each other and talk about them. 

I suggest students go out and eat, see what cuisines are available, and try something new. Train your palate, experience new flavors and combinations. Also take a picture of your food in class, and see how your plating has progressed. 

Professional development for faculty is critical. Considering the generation that we are currently teaching I believe that staying on top of culinary based technology is also a must. Students often know more about food blogs, pod casts and current associations than their instructors. We can learn much from our students in this regard.

The resources available to students and chefs to develop and hone their skills are continuously expanding.  Cell phones, internet food discussion platforms, and participating in professional associations provide a bevy of exposure to information and skills.  It is important for chef instructors to guide students through these processes so the learners understand their relevance to the industry.

It is really important to set realistic expectations for the student to understand them. Also following the trend, showing them skills up to date is really important right now for the new generation of students and it's necessary for the instructor to keep up with the trend and go on stages to develop smore skills. 

As instructor and role model I believe it is important as mentioned to share our experiences and explain to students the various culinary paths that exist in the industry without presenting a bias. It’s imperative for the industry to guide students with passion and the the urge to improve their skill and craft to all parts of the industry.

It is also important for us to continually be educating ourselves whether it be with food trends, food science, latest ingredients, food politics, food systems, etc to really be able to answer and students questions or intrigues they have for us.

As an instructor you need to be able to have realistic expectations. You can't take years of experience that you have and push that onto the student. I also think that cell phones are a great resource, as long as they are monitored. They can become a huge distraction if not.     

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities