Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Jobs

Food service is the largest employment agency in the world and as Chefs its not about we want, it's about the customer!

Balance

You to have a center of gravity in the kitchen, Good sanitation, a sense of urgency and great cooking skills are essential!

General Ed Classes

No one ever said not being good in math or science or English will make me a Great Chef!

Technique

It's all about technique, trial and error and pratice practice pratice!

Degree / Career Plan Alignment

Does LCB currently use an integrated degree/career planning system to advise students?

Taking the Guess Work out of the learning

It has been my experience that simply sending a student to read chapters 3 and 4 in the textbook leaves the student on his/her own to attain knowledge. Do you know of any better way to immerse students in a learning environment where knowledge attainment is more immersive?

The value of experiential learning

I love online learning, especially when a course is developed like this module. There is great value in application of learning, which is very hard to accomplish in an online learning environment. With the use of technology and innovative teaching techniques, experiential learning in the online environment has become much more feasible. Do you have techniques for employing experiential learning in an online environment that you'de like to share? Thanks. Sean

Researching the Industry

What are some assignments that can be assigned to culinary students which will foster learning outside of the classroom?

The importance of safety and sanitation!

What are some ways to emphasize the importance of safety and sanitation in the food service industry?

Applying learning to real world experiences

What are some ways in which real life experiences can be incorporated into the classroom environment?

Technology in the classroom

What are some techniques for bringing adult learners up to speed with technology?

fisrt class

After many many years teaching baking and oastry I realized that we, instructors, use to assume that our students know certain basics that they dont!! So, I start my first class by doing my mis en place at the right way, showing them what they should be looking for.

What is the preferred course project? Would it be group or individual?

I see there are many students that do not want to work in group settings. Older adults are the same, and would rather do projects by themselves. What have other instructors seen?

What challenges are you seeing with generational gaps with students?

Older students are being found more and more in the culinary class rooms. How are other instructors managing class room discipline with the younger generation?

Breaking up lecture

I find that taking part of te lecture material and dividing it into four or six parts, and giving it to groups in the class to discuss makes it an easier pill to swallow. I teach a wine and beverage course so I had four groups each discussing the quality classifications of wines in Germany, France, Spain, and Italy. I found that they learn more about how to study when they do this as well.

Consistency

Consistency is the key of any good restaurant. Customers expect the same dish every time no matter how long it has been since they last had it. It is also not possible for the Chef, to cook each menu item every single day. Because that work must be done by someone else and because the reputation of the establishment rides on the work of prep cooks, line cooks and Sous Chefs, it is critical to introduce and use standardized recipes.

Local Chefs

How does one best instruct students on how to become more knowledgeable of local chefs and new up and coming chefs?

Culinary Trends

What are some of the current short-term and long-term culinary trends that you discuss with your colleagues?

Instilling Professionalism

Aside from enforcing school and classroom policies, what successful approaches have you used to influence the behavior of a student who is consistently tardy?

Continuous Learning

As a culinary instructor, what are some methods that you have used to keep your skills and knowledge current?
Related Learning Opportunities