Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Retention is the key

Many times student engage in regurgitation of information in my forums. They simply copy and paste, or paraphrase, what the author writes in the text. The one most effective way to help students retain information is to have them relate to the material personally. If I see their answers are generic, I follow up with a question that asks them to specifically engage in the material and relate to it. This is the best way to help them retain information.

abstract learning

I have my students visualize the ,more abstract the better for memory

Retention

I find that I have to reinforce information repeatedly to emphasize the importance of the subject. In most cases it's because they just learned the information long enought to take a test but never really learned it. I have had some students that do not care about the subject at hand and they will not remember the information if they do not care about it.

Student needs

I think that this would apply to all schools. Students should be made to adhere to certain "cumbersome safety requirements" they will find the same regulations out in the field. Since these are no longer "new" they are easier to handle, or get accustomed to.

Multiple inteligence

I have always included this in my lab experiments for years. Basically in situations requiring students to work together to troubleshoot a problem.

Learning process

I believe it is vital to understand learning styles and brain functions into the course. I had no idea that we were doing this when we were doing for all these years. Application is extremely important to the adult learning.

Helping students remember

Remembering course material is alot like getting the body to do what you want thru muscle memory. The only difference is training the brain to do the same thing. If you practice something correctly over and over it becomes familier. You can train the brain to do work the same way. If someone says they hate math it's probably because they weren't taught math properly. You just need to find a way to make it easy and show how the results will help them. Money always gets their attention. I also use money when teaching students how to read a… >>>

Helpful pretesting

Pretesting if done right can be a great learning tool. As the instructor you already know the course content. Now you just make a test to show the students what they are about to learn. You can also identify who the weaker students might be so you can be prepared to help them. You can also make up some more advanced challenges for the students who could possibly become bored if they are not challanged.

Tigger - Tiger / Tomato - Tomaato

Perception is reality!! If I can't engage all my students in one form or another they are going to be bored and lose interest in the course. So how do you teach to all the different learning styles? Practice! Just look at their eyes and you can tell if they are engaged or off in lala land. Ask questions of the students who seem to not be getting it and find out how to help them. It may be a math class that is required and some are only there for that reason but find a way to make it… >>>

What is concrete and what is perception?

We know perception is reality but is reality concrete? I think it depends on the individual! What I might feel is a waste of time might be anothers way of taking a mental break. If I did not know that person I would be sure they were lazy because my eyes and ears tell me they are not doing anything but sitting there with a blank look on their face. To my way of thinking that would be concrete when in reality what I think I'm seeing is not the total picture. Now if I heard soothing music and the… >>>

Learn to listen

Very often students talk to each other he demo. I always stress at the beginning of the lecture they must observe & take notes on everything that I do.Since they were not paying attention, their project was not as successful as it should be. They really believe that they can remember everything.

Review

I believe this is one of the most important parts of the day. A recap of the days events, learnings.

Learning

we utilize all aspects of learning, so there is something for everyone. What they don't process through powerpoint, they can supplement through hands on, or visual learning, since we supply plenty of pictures, graphs, and diagrams.

Learning to materail

I find a great way to make sure the students the necessary information is by various methods. I tend to put very important information on the board, and then describe it to the students.

How we learn

I think we learn in ways of difference for all. Taking the time to ask the students if one learning style works better then another is benificial to course prep and connecting with students of all levels.

Making Course content relevant

While teaching, it is important to stay focused on the objectives to accomplish the results of the learning content.

Adult Learners

Do you believe adults are better able to cope with learning issues.

Helping students retain information. Difficult.

I have fellow teachers ask me if if I forgot to teach a subject area because my former students did not seem to know anything about the topic. I might reply something like, "The topic we spent three days on?" Is it because they just learned the information long enought to take a test but never learned it in the first place? Probably. I have students that do not care about the subject at hand and they will not remember the information if they do not care about it.

People just know different things....

I know many professional trades people that are extremely intelligent but are not thought of that way because they did not attend university. I am happy that this chapter brought this idea into discussion. I can't quote it directly, but I enjoyed it when it mentioned that it takes intelligence to make a toilet flush.

Culture and decoding

What can you do help with decoding in a foreign culture?