Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Review

I believe this is one of the most important parts of the day. A recap of the days events, learnings.

I agree it's also a great way to begin the following class. Review of the previous days info helps to lead into the current lecture.

A recap of the day is important as is going over future written exams. In our culinary school we administer many written exams and practical exams as well. Having a large range of ages in the classroom/lab can be tricky. Each person takes in only so much information. I find that if I include them in on the exercise and let them work out the problems as a whole group, that seems to spark new conversation and learning becomes fun for them. I can talk all day about baking but it's great when the students keep the ball rolling too. They are reviewing and don't even realize it!

I also agree students need a recap from the previous day.

Reviews definately help reinforce the key points from the day's events. It also give them a forum to share their experiences.

I agree that a recap is so important especially with the large amount of information that is shared each day

Karen,
If you can make the recap fun and challenging the the value of doing it will increase as well as the engagement of the students.
Gary

i fell like reviewing gives the student a clear path on there direction in learning, it helps to keep them focused

I do mini reviews throughout my lectures, usually after a section of the lecture was covered. This quickly initiates recall on what I discussed and encourages class participation. After we have reviewed the subject I ask the students to relate the topic to what is happening in their clinical setting or discuss what is going on in the clincal that I am instructing in.

I WILL REVIEW DURING AND AFTER A LESSON. AFTER A COMPLETE LESSON HAS BEEN TAUGHT AND BEFORE A TEST I ASK IF THE STUDENTS HAVE ANY QUESTIONS AND IF THEY DO NOT THE I ASK SOME AND WILL CALL ON INDIVIDUAL STUDENT FOR AN ANSWER, IF HE/SHE CANNOT ANSWER THE QUESTION I OPEN IT UP TO THE WHOLE CLASS, THIS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL TEST TIME.

Teaching in a creative field I find it's important to review the lesson but also allowing the students to apply their new knowledge to a project helps reinforce the material.

Justin,
Yes teaching is a creative field and so we educators need to be on the lookout for ways we can incorporate new and different ways of engaging students and enhancing their learning. This is what makes teaching so much fun.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment