Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

How do you link the service learning to a community?

This suggests that communities have an involvment in the education. How do you ensure than this happens?

Identfying MIs

How do you identify MIs? Is there a simple test that can be given without the students understanding what you are doing?

Culture and Learning

I teach foreign students in foreign countries. It requires lots of study to prepare for the classes because of the need to understand their cultures. What are some ideas on how to better prepared for foreign students?

Decoding Course Content

How do you help your students decode course content?

Addressing the four learning preferences

What strategies do you use most often to help each of the four categories of learners learning preferences (auditory, written, visual & kinesthetic)?

Reviews

How do you use reviews in your class as a learning tool? How long do you budget each day for your reviews?

Concrete & Abstract Thinking

How is concrete and abstract thinking used in the class you teach? Which if either do you think is more prevalent?

Always learning

I noticed that this online class used different ways to present this course for the different leanering styles of the Instructors.

Pretest

I did not realize how important a pretest was.I will work on adding them to my classes. This is another helpful tool for an Instructor. I am new at this,but this helps me. Thanks

Adult Learners

I have learned so much taking these classes. I am an Instructor and I work in the School System. It was hard to go from working with children and then changing to adult learners in the same day. It is so much better now.I know that I can try to help the children have a positve attitude towards school in the early years of life. Maybe this will help them in the future!

Pretesting

I think Pretesting for a course in the beginning is a valuable tool in assessing the students ability to process the information in the course moving forward. I did this to some degree in my courses before but am more committed to doing it moving forward.

Help students discover their multiple intelligence

I think that guiding the students identify thier multiple intelligence and how to use them, will help maximize student learning.

Skill verses knowledge

Skill relevancy ids easy to demonstrate. Knowledge less so. How can one demonstrate rhe relevancy of professional knowledge?

Injecting creativity into structured learning

What are some ways to inject creativity into structured learning. The Military is a hugh organization and decision makers must rely on structured problem solving procedures. But they must also integrate abstract concepts in order to respond to the unexpected or new environments. How can an instructor inject creativity into structured problem solving?

Pretest Anxiety/Anger

I have considered providing a pretest to assess student skill and comprehension of previous material. However, in the past, when I have done so, I have been met with a considerable amount hostility from students. They often feel that it is unfair to test them without letting them prepare. I assure them that it will not affect their grades, but this does little to assuage their fears. Any suggestions as to how I can make the pre-test more palatable?

Problems with Distortion

I am finding that when I do comprehension checks of information presented, there is a considerable amount of distortion of the information. I am wondering if anyone has any insights as to how/why students will distort presented materials with incorrect information. Especially with ideas that were never mentioned in class, show in the presentation or written in the book.

Can career influence the way a person thinks?

Are some careers (e.g., military, law enforcement) more likely to develop concrete thinkers? How can one best modify concrete thinkers to make them be more appreciative of abstract thought?

Studying

Teaching the diffferent methods of studying to your students helps them to acquire the knowledge needed for learning in class and doing their homework successfully

Connecting Students Need to their Learning

Student learn better when we connect their learning needs to their life styles

Mixing different learning styles

When putting students into groups. Put students in the group with different learning styles so they could feed off of each others abilities and strengths