Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Direct Learning. Epic fail!

I was in grade school during the 1970's. I remember being given the direct learning for English grammar in the 5th grade. The intent was that all grammar topics from sentance structure to punctuation, verbs nouns, etc... were broken down into indevidual "laerning modules". The teacher gave a brief lesson then the student were allowed to take the module and do the learning assignments. The intent was that student would progress at their own pace. I can tell you that at the age of 10 I couldn't care lass about learning grammer. I was allowed to simply not move on. There was no push to get me through all the material and as a a result I never did learn proper  grammar or sentance structure.

In our technical school we use some limited "on-line" self directed study. It has been my personal observation that this new generation is no more self motivated now then I was then. If it looks like work or if it's something they "need" to learn they are just as likely not to do it no matter how convenient you make it.

Do you find you have more interest in the mechanics of grammar now that you see its applicability? I remember in high school I couldn't care less about history. I knew in an abstract sense that there was benefit in learning history, but to me it seemed not nearly as fascinating as English, mathematics, or music, all subjects which I naturally enjoyed. I agree that it seems unlikely that self-directed study will provide the "hook" that a passionate teacher might to draw students in to the excitement of learning subject material. But, I do think it is a useful tool, especially for those students who already have a knack and drive for the material. As an undergrad music major, I had trouble learning ear training skills, and had to drop my music theory class. What helped me grasp the material was working on ear training over (and over and over) in the computer lab using a software called Auralia. It helped so much that no one saw how many answers I missed! After many iterations of intervals I picked up on how to listen. I think adaptive learning is especially beneficial in this type of scenario, where I needed a bit of extra practice, one that would not be feasible to provide in a classroom setting.

Sign In to comment