Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Younger Students

I have often had problems getting younger students to participate especially if they are straight out of high school. Even when mixing the group up they tend to be very shy and are afraid to verbalize their opinion.  

How do you get to this understanding of students quickly?

I am interested to know how some of my peers get to know the students and understand their needs so quickly.  Is it through an ice breaker, or discussion board to understand the previous concerns discussed?

Thank you for your insights.

Diversity of students

some classes have diverse students, to keep them engaged, put them together in small groups

Enhance student learning

Extrinsic is a goal 

Motivation

A key to success

enhancing student retention

Content was extremely helpful

Security

The student feeling confidence in themselves is the number one important thing, everything else will naturally fall into place 

Real World Experiences and Community Service Experiences

Creation assignments that may align with real world experiences.

how can i apply these technique but also learn from these techniques?

how can i use these techniques to become a better instructor? how or what can others advice for a new instructor when they ask a question where i might be doubtfull of my response or dont quiet know how to complete explain or even answer a questiont they may have? 

ED102

i love the material i have learned from this module, it has prepared me for my first day of class, and i was able to apply some of these methods.

past experiance

I find sometimes it's tough to teach older student that may semi related to what is being covered do to changing there bad habits or get them awy from a comfort zone that they may be used to. I find finding a topic and discussing different ways to look at it.

learning and applying

More empathy and applying what has been learned.

Diversity

It is mentioned that it is the responsibility of the instructor with students of diverse backgrounds in diverse settings to bring students to a level of sophistication. I am taken back by this. What do you mean by that? What group of people are you refering to? It is mentioned at one point that each person has something to offer and can be shared. I am confused.

Two Types of Motivators: Intrinsic & Extrinsic | Origin: ED112

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Influencing Student Motivation --> Two Types of Motivators: Intrinsic & Extrinsic

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Two Main Issues: Security & Autonomy | Origin: ED112

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Influencing Student Motivation --> Two Main Issues: Security & Autonomy

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Perscriptive advising

What is the best way to describe it?

Expose, Experiences and Educate

I got, Expose, Experiences and Educate or as I like to say, E-cubed. 

Understanding adult students

Adult students come from such diverse life experiences that acknowledgement of who they are and what they have done to be in my class room is a powerful tool to reach them

Security & Autonomy

Excellant course

Motivation

What are some of the best methods you have used to motivate students?