Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

As it has been stated in this course, helping students understand how their HABEs affect their efforts to achieve their goals are extremely important. Most of our students might have the view that to obtain their degree is a major hurdle. We can help students take a critical look at what is on their plate and teach them ways to internally face theses challenges (HABEs) and externally seek out the support systems to achieve their goals.

I agree! I feel we are a little bit mental health, a little bit career advisor, and a little bit parent.

Thanks, Earl. Convincing students we believe in them goes a long way toward helping them internalize the HABEs they need to be successful. Teaching them ways to address all the requirements of their lives is the most important step we can take to help them. We cannot expect them to be a student first, putting school as a much higher priority than their families and jobs.

Yes, most definitely. Educators aren't the only ones in this type of situation though. Nurses, medical assistants, funeral directors and many other professiona also share this diversity in their jobs. Think about nail techs, hairdressers and even bartenders. They all have customers in their chairs but the nail tech and hairdresser are doing more than painting nails or cutting hair. They are giving good customer service by listening and showing that they care and many times offering advice. Many professions multi task in their jobs.

I have not thought of it as mental health but you do have to be aware of the circumstances that each student is coming from. I know as an instructor that a student may have experiences that will help in an explanation of a subject matter. I also have to be sensitve to each persons background and not alienate people to the subject. Some times a student may of had a bad experience in high school and is sour on the whole learning experience, as an instructor you have to key in on this and try to pull a student out of his/her shell. The end result will be a better experience for the student and you as an instructor.

Yes we are. Not only are we in the for profit business of education, we are also in the customer service industry (our students). If we are successful in helping our students graduate with the skills and knowledge necessary for employment, we will increase our enrollment.

Sounds simple, doesn't it! :)

I do agree and viewed your video by the way. It was like candy. Only training the student in their career is like trying to cover the chickenpox by using one band aid. You’re not treating the whole patient. From financial planning, appearance, building their self esteem, and so on. We are trying to treat the whole patient.

I don't necessarily agree with that comment. As educators we meet many people who come to us with a very diverse background and if we are doing our jobs correctly, students should feel comfortable with us to express or share what is going on in their lives. These narratives, which can sometimes be filled with "mental health" challenges, provide us with guidance on how we can help he/she stay engaged in school.

Additionally, I have never liked the use of "Customer Service" when referring to people with come in contact with. The label seems cold, sterile and disconnected with our "guest". I prefer to use "guest services" which requires us to have a entirely different perspective on how we treat people - internal and external. Guest service asks that we treat students and anyone we come in contact with as if they are in our home. This means listening attentively, and offering assitance when needed because we want them to come visit us again.

Metal health is all about what we do.
Keeping the students on the right path, and not getting ourselves to high or to low.
I take my job very seriously, and sometimes I care too much, and I have too reel my self back in, and regroup.
It's all about the student

I agree. Students attending career college often do it against the wishes and without their normal support system. It is important for us to be aware of a students mental health in order to support them in this process.

Thanks, Michael.

What are some of the things your school has in place to provide the support that your students may be lacking?

I totally agree. Some days more than others of course. But for the most part I spend an equal amount of time on the individual mental aspects of students than on anything else regarding that student's educational needs.

Getting them enrolled and scheduled for class with books in hand is the easy part. . .it's meeting their mental and/or emotional needs that often takes a great deal of time, empathy and often a tremendous amount of patience and dedication.

Some of my students are severly troubled and come from backgrounds and lifestyles I can only imagine. Such as raising multiple children alone, working and going to school. . .or perhaps they are just out of prison and are sincerely looking to better their lives but have never been taught how to achieve this in a civilized, self-respecting way.

I tend to agree. Students often come to me seeking advice on issues ranging from financial to health related concerns.

Yes, I believe we are in several business ventures when teaching. We are trying to support them emotionally, help some with high stress levels, encourage some with extra attention, and the whole time know that we need them just as much as they need us.

We are in the same arena as a hospital. Hospitals are open to help people, but if they do not meet or surpass costs, they will not stay open. Does that mean they are only open to make a profit? They, like us, must treat people like customers. The bottom line is important and must always be uppermost or we will have no students to teach, and they will have no place to recieve their dreams.

Thanks, Donna. I like the hospital analogy.

Quite often, it is necessary to provide the student a clear picture of their purpose for being in school, that vision they need to set them on the path they have chosen and to keep them going in the right direction.

Many times, we have to work with a student's issues to keep them on track and help them visualize, categorize, and restructure their lives to accomplish this goal.

They need help in working through issues they don't see past. Having come from a first-time family member in college background, I understand firsthand how the "HABES" can wreak havoc in our lives. I was among the fortunate ones that had a supportive family, could qualify for the financial resources, and/or work my way through college with family and friends' assistance.

These students need a support system and someone that will remind them of their purpose and help them figure out solutions to problems that can easily sidetrack them.

So, yes we are emotional, mental, health, and financial advisors. If we don't know the answer, we guide them to where they can find the assistance they need to keep on with their plans and be successful.

Yes, I have found this to be absolutely true. I often find myself in the role of counselor to my students. I find encouraging and motivating my students is often necessary to help keep them going towards their goal.

When a student is having personal problems, I try to provide comfort and guidance.

Students trust their instructors to teach and guide them and as such,I noticed students tend to open up emotionally to me. Students also tend to be very stressed trying to balance their lives, so emotional mindsets play a major role in completing school work and a degree successfully.

Ginger Little

I agree because the state of our students mental health directly effects there ability to learn and to be successful.

I agree very much about being in the mental health business. What we say and teach can be taken different ways by different people and how each person perceives this can have either a positive or negative view. Words must be chosen cafefully in order to encourage them to and be prepared when they hit the real world.

Sign In to comment