Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I agree with this to a certain extent. While I am not a licensed mental health counselor, many of our students will come to me and my colleagues with personal issues that are impacting their education. It is our job to help them with those as well by listening and offering any advise if we have it. So in that sense, it certainly feels like we are in that bussiness as well some days.

Thanks, Timothy.

Anyone in a position of leadership, whether in a business or in a classroom, will be more effective if they consider the emotional and morivational needs of those they are leading.

We are definately in the mental health business, if you define mental health as helping to ensure the mental well being, the postive outlook, and the improved vision for that student's future. As the module discusses, our HABEs can affect our mental health, our attitudes and our outlook for the future. As instructors we have an opportunity, even an obligation, to offer positive direction, formative feedback, coaching on personal habits and encouragement to all of our students. Some may be seriously hindered by their self-image or their fears, uncertainties and doubts. They may challenge us and our own mental health at times. But we must persist and treat them as not only customers, but as we would our own children. Someone once told me that for the short duration of the course, we are the most important person in that student's life. What they meant was that student looked up to us, for learning, for vision, for guidance, and most importantly for acceptance. It is easy to become frustrated and criticize, but that does not help their mental health or motivation. We must always strive to believe that the student can succeed, and we are their partner in this quest.

I think that the concept of mental health is broader than focusing on pathologies and treatment. It encompasses helping to encourage and motivate students. If they have a negative self-image, if they are not empowered, if they do understand how to build self-efficacy, then we have a responsibility to help them see the way, to help them overcome their own blind spots. This is what I think is meant when it is said that we are in two fields - education and mental health. When you think about it, education can be a key building block for mental health.

Mark, I think you are right. When we see students flagging, or missing class or late with assignments, these can be warning signs. They may give excuses, such as a grandmother that died, but we know that is not the real reason for their poor performance. The old saying, "It takes a village" applies here, as it applies to all of us in all situations. Just as we would express concern and reach out to co-workers or associates that may go through rough periods, we can do the same with students. They look up to us. They may remember us for the rest of their lives, long after we have forgotten them. We should take the time to extend a hand and make sure they retain their vision.

Excellent examples, Lucy, of how we can help them establish and maintain positive mental health, or perhaps we should call it mental well-being, a belief they are going to be all right. I think the word "health" throws some. Then again, even if we include some of the pathologies of the mental health field, there are sources to which they can be referred through the school. In k-12 systems, teachers are taught to recognize certain signs and symptoms and take action, referring the situation to authorities. I think anyone who works with students on a regular basis can also contribute here. It could make a difference.

Well-stated, Joseph. Thanks!

Joseph,
These are well placed words. Maybe the lines are not drawn very clearly between motivation and mental health. But certainly we must be cognizant of a student's emotional state. Most of us would probably agree, that if a student is not feeling well, he or she will not be very receptive to ideas and content. If their mental health borders a clinical diagnosis, then, the student is beyond the scope of the classroom. If it is simply an issue of esteem, and we can raise their spirit and their sense of self-worth, then they will be in a better frame of mind to learn and grow mentally.
As teachers I would propose that we have some responsibilities to recognize the difference and take action to arrange for help for someone in need.

I do agree with this statement. I also understand that not only the educators but the staff of an education institution should be ready to deal with our students "mental health". When we decide to work in an education institution - this been the institution that is forming a human being in to a professional - we need to understand that there's a lot to deal with, starting from personal backgrounds and ending with issues with socialization in the classroom. This all actually comes attached to what can be called "mental health". It's more a matter of helping them understand that the path they have chosen has many challenges and that this will sooner or later affect them - sometimes positively, other times not that much - but that the finality of it will be to turn them in to agents of change.

Thank you for this post, Keila. You are correct that the entire institution has a responsibility in the development of each student's ability to face challenges and overcome them. I look forward to your future posts.

Yes. We are an Educational Model, fit into a Business Plan.

Schools, whether for-profit or non for-profit, have a responsibility to educate the student as well as run a good business model. Both aspects are importnant.

Thanks, Filecha. I look forward to your posts in other discussion forums.

I think as an instructor that you feel like you are not only in the education business but also in the mental health business. But I have to say that you have to be careful because using myself I am not a licensed social worker so I would never want to give advice that I could not back up or am under-qualified to give.

Our students come from all over the country many are fresh out of high school. We're constantly dealing with thier mental health as well as trying to teaching them. If a student isn't prepared mentally they will never be able to comprehend whats being taught. Many of our students are away from home for the first time, no job, no money, in a strange place with no close friends. We have special counselers on campus to help the students no matter what the issue is so that when they come to class, they are fully prepared in mind and body.

We are certainly in more than one business, but I wouldn't say educational institutes provide "Mental Health". In my humble opinion, students come from different backgrounds to be prepared for the industry,. and the industry is a common ground where everyone wants to succeed. And so I would say career educators are more of "behavioral modifiers" because we transform students to fit in the common grounds of the industry.

Thank you, John.

What are the types of behaviors for which "modification" is the most difficult?

Thank you for this post, Kevin. What can you do in your class to help students get into the right frame of mind?

As far as helping someone change a negative or stifling HABE, certainly we intertwine education with the mental-health field. I think of my job in Student Services as a Part-time life coach helping students discover what they want and how to get there. As an elementary educator for some years prior to my current position, I felt very much the same. At least now working with adults, I feel that I may have more of an impact on those struggling students. As adult students their "pictures" or goals are little more clear than when they are 12 and 13.

As educators we assume many roles. We are on stage all the time. Everything we say and do can help or hinder a students learning. We are not professional counselors, doctors or pychologists but we should know how and when to suggest them to a student if need be. Always being kind, courteous and empathetic is how we want to be treated and should always to the same for our students and co-workers alike

Thank you, Julie. Student Services folks play a big role in a school's success.

Sign In to comment