Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I agree completely. We have a lot of students in our school that have a lot going on outside of class. They have complicated lives (families, jobs, housing issues, etc...) and this is brought into the classroom a lot. Sometimes we have to start off with building up their self-esteem and building confidence in themselves before we will even see them make progress in the classroom.

I agree that we should be very aware of the myriad stressors that are present in our student's lives, and serve as a referral source and support system. I do believe however, that it is imperative that we assist the student in solving their own problems versus solving their problems for them. Not only are the students more satisfied with this approach, but they are empowered, and will be more likely to manage future problems and stressors in a more competent and confident manner.

Thank you, Laurie.

You make some good points here. We need to help students identify strategies and tools to deal with the rocks in the road, but they have to use the tools and employ the strategies.

Are we in the mental health business? Sure we are. Going to school is avery stressful experience. Students have many problems that can keep them from doing well wiyh their studies.

I totally agree.
As an instructor, I spend a lot of time with students, far more than the admissions or financial staff.
Usually, after a few weeks, they tend to trust people who will listen and try to help or guide them.
I don't always have answers but I may be able to direct them to someone who does have an answer for them.
The main thing is to be aware if a behavior has changed and try to ask about problems without being too 'nosey'
Responses can be very surprising

Some career educators state that in addition to being in the education business, we are also in the "mental health" business. Do you agree or disagree? Why?

Yes, we are in more than one business. Yes, we are in the "mental health" business within the context of how graduating and getting a job is so good for one's self esteem and self worth. While we may not be psychologists or social workers we are providing an opportunity for one to accomplish something that will improve their lives. And let's not forget the good feeling we all get at seeing our students graduate.

Ron,

Thanks for this post. It is great to see that your team gets excited about graduation.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Sign In to comment