Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I would agree that we are also in the mental health business. Before becoming an instructor, I never realized just how many people I would be coaching thru so many various life challenges. It is almost unusual lately to find a student who is NOT struggling with something in his/her life, and needs a little coaching to help them thru it.

Donald,

I'm glad you are agree and understand that we are in the "mental health" business. It's not really the mental state, but the student's subconscious; where their beliefs about their abilities reside.

Yes, we are not only in the business of teaching people how to service and repair motorcycles but also in the mental health business. We change lives daily by sharing our life and work experiences with our students and try to make them more socially acceptable and more hireable which makes them happier and gives them a healthier outlook on life in general.

I believe that we are definitely part of the "mental health" profession in being educators. If you think of what happens in the doctor's office, it closely relates to what we do on a regular basis with our students: we see changes in behavior that can signal problems in the classroom or elsewhere and check with the student to see if everything is all right, listen to the student's issues and make a non-biased analysis of what is going on, and finally give the student advice based on what we know and have experienced.

Most cerently agree, We as teachers /educaters have a responsibilly to be mentally prepared to take on the task of helping other in both the acidemic areas as well as in Mental Health aers, so that we may assist in getting the student the help needed or to the correct person if it is required. even if it simply means to just listen ,sometimes that does wonders. just listen

While I do not consider myself qualified to made a call on a person's metal health, I do feel qualified to determine the attitude any person displays during one of my classes. It is this that I try to influance in a positive manner. More easily said than done, but EVERY interaction, especially the one-on-one type can move the student towards a "healthier" attitude. And occaisionally, puts one over the threshold to a new "mental" state. I have changed a life!

Thomas,

This is a great point. We are somewhat responsible for preparing students mentally for academic areas.

Albert,

Just want your described is exactly what we mean by being in the "mental health" business. It's not being a psychologist, but creating healthier attitudes and changing those mental states.

I agree. A mentor can change the state of a studen't mentality by just being a great mentor. I see this on a consistent basis. The mentor is there for the student, and the student adjusts his or her mentality to adapt to the school surroundings. It doesn't work for every student, but it works for enough to know you can make a difference.

Yes I agree we need to be the life advisor at times for the students. In being there for the student we can help the with encouragement to stay the course and fulfill there dreams and live there passions.

When we take on the task of helping individuals achieve their vision or goals then we take on the responsibility of changing their mind; their conditioning. Reinforcing or creating positive mental health is part of that undertaking. Teaching like coaching requires training of behavior as much as training in the skills we want them to master.

I agree we are in the mental health business. Many of our students are away from home for the first time and need help with daily living. Sometimes having a “Father, Son” talk is all it takes to make a difference.

Elizabeth,

You have the exact understanding of saying we are in the "mental health" business. Coaching and training of behavior is rewiring their brains, which is part of "mental health".

That's exactly right. Just sitting down with students and having a "heart to heart" talk works the best.

I agree. If we are to have success at changing habits, attitudes, beliefs, and expectations, we must try and get into the mind of that student. If we understand what the root cause of the poor attitude or belief, we can combat that with positive things - this is absolutely a mental business.

George,

You have a true understanding of our business and what takes to help our students and allow them to succeed.

I agree never really looked at it this way But when you do you see each student in a different light as they do each instructor they see some better some worse even creating the problem for the student.

Yes we are in the "mental health" business. I find the faster I can gain the students trust so that they will come to me when they have a problem my "education business" becomes so much easier. When the students have too much on their plates in is very difficult for them to focus on classwork. Most of the time they have no clue how much help the school has to offer them. But before you can direct them they must open up to you so I try very hard never to do anything that will cause me to loose their trust. Any rule or S.O.P. they must follow I try to explain the "why" behind them. The more they feel I am here to HELP and teach the better classroom atmosphere for all.

Tony, I couldn't agree more. As educator's we provide every resource in our power for their success. However is goes to the old saying, "give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish and he eats for a life time."

I absolutely agree. Many student's will face numerous obstacles in their path for an education and it is our job to remind them why it is so important for them to complete their education. We are here to help them succeed and sometimes that means we have to be counselors as well as Financial Aid, Admissions, etc.

Sign In to comment