Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Are We In More Than One Business?

I agree we are in the mental health business also we must learn to look for signs that something in not right with our students. mood changes habit changes Sometims the student only needs someone to vent to about the things going on in his or her life and sometimes you might have to refer them to a professional counselor to handle a bigger problem. but as an instructor it is part of you responsibility to know your students

I agree some of our younger studants may establish there work ethics from what they learn in our class, And keep them all through life.

As a general rule of thumb I agree with the statement. We sepend a lot of time coaching, cheering, and counseling students that want to quit school, are not passing classes, or bring a lot of "outside baggage" to school. Many times they only need someone to take an interest in them and give a strategically placed kind word or listening ear. In many cases we also work with the "high-flyers" as they want to show us the work they are doing and their successes.

I have to agree with “outside baggage" statement. Students are usually in a new city and state and then can get sidetracked on things going on outside of school. Just taking the time as an instructor and explaining, “it’s only temporary and stay focused on the big picture” can make a big difference.

It sometimes feels that way, but in reality we are just experiencing may of the habits, attitudes, beliefs and expectations that the student came to us with and they need our help to re-route their focus. We have all faced those "mental health" students before, and although some are real issues, most are just a matter of redirecting their energy, guiding them to a higher self-esteem, and making them believe in themselves through use of the 3Ms.

So true. One other strategy is to have on-campus activities to get students involved in to connect them with the college and take their attention away from external goings on. The more campus clubs and activities you can manage to keep the students involved and connected, the better their chances of staying in school and keeping the focus of why they are there.

I do agree. Because we are guiding these students through the most important time in their life. We are acting as advisers, helping them make decisions considering the advantages and disadvantages of alternatives that are available to them.
If your students trusts you, and believes you are acting in their best interests, they will be more susceptible to your counseling.

I agree. While educating our students is our main role is so plain to see based just on our title of instructor or teacher, we are also practicing in the mental health business as well. By encouraging our students we help them build confidence. By coaching our students we can point out undesirable behaviors that will not allow for their full success in the future, then we can try to reduce or eliminate those behaviors over time. We help the student to become molded into what the industry wants as far as technical skills and with the professional soft skills as well. Many times the students HABEs must be overcome first to be able to be successful in both.

I do agree. Because we are guiding these students through the most important time in their life. We are acting as advisers, helping them make decisions considering the advantages and disadvantages of alternatives that are available to them.

If your students trust you, and believe you are acting in their best interests, they will be more susceptible to your counseling.

Yes I agree, there are times we have to deal with the students personal issues to keep yhem on track of thier studies. Yes we are counselors too.

I totally agree. As a Registrar I find students often come in to my office expressing daily issues they face in their communities. A good percentage of my time is spent assisting students in renewing their minds by encouraging them and allowing them to vision themselves achieving their goals. Graduation then becomes more meaningful for both the student and myself as I watch individuals graduate who almost quit.

To a degree we are in a mental health business as well because as an educator I often find myself listening to students personal prblems trying to help them figure out solutions to assist them. I believe tha school is not an environment where we should be assisting students in any mental health capacity

School is not a place where teachers should focus on students menta state. they are nt qualify to make such judgement. All of thashould be taken place upon admission of the students.

Not only younger students but also older students as well. Studens should establish there work ethics from they leran from there institution and beyond because I believe that how they leran and grow.

It is good to enourage students but ultimately they have be accountable for what ever action they take.

Teachers that are Intelligent Hearts are not psychologists but Great Mentors. We are in the mental health business to a great degree, because many of our students have so many problems and unless we guide and help them, they won't in school long enough to teach them.

agree...we deal with student issues that student may face in day to day life. problems at home ,work ect.

We are somewhat in the Mental Business as Mentors to our students. How do you see yourself as a Mentor?

I agree because sometimes you allow your emotions to get involved even when you know you shouldn't

Will being in the education business we also must be in the buisness of help our students with there mental health. If they do not have any one to help with problems and find a soultion they will suffer as students with many issuses they can not solve on there own.

Sign In to comment