Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I worked for a litigating attorney while in college. Observing him I learned much about engaging people, reading the subtle signs and mannarisims of people. This has served me well through my career.

I have had several mentors throughout my lifetime that have appeared when I most needed a mentor. I do believe in the saying "when a student is ready, a teacher will appear". One was an Anatomy and Physiology teacher. When I was struggling, he gave me much needed encouragement, and made suggestions to help me study, always making me feel that he believed I would do great. He made it crystal clear in my mind, that just one person can really change another persons' direction and outlook. I was not sure I could do all that was required to meet my goals, but because he believed in me, I surpassed them.

Thanks, Donna.

What were some of the specific things your A&P teacher did to make you believe that he believed in you? What are some specific things you do for your students to achieve the same results?

I have to admit that there are 2 people here that mean the world to me. They keep me on track and truly shows that were I work are a great place. They also help me with life experience because they care and know that there is not a book printed to help with life’s rocky road. (And I don’t mean the ice cream!) The education that they bring to me also extends in to the class room to help students with their issues has well.

Thank you for sharing this, Richard. You are fortunate to have these two folks in your life.

What are some things you have learned from them that you can take into your classroom and bring to your students?

I have had several mentors, but the one that I remember most vividly is a high school teacher. We still keep in contact today. Not only was she a mentor but a model of behavior that I wanted to emulate. Now this is coming from a teenager. I had no goals at the time because I had been drafted but this teacher convinced me that I need to identify life after the Army and what I really wanted to do with myself. Preparation could start while I was serving although I considered it more a prison sentence. I wanted to pursue Psychology and did major in that subject in college, but decided that I wanted to be a teacher because of the influence of this mentor. I continued taking college course as I had the time, and did eventually get that teaching job in a high school. I aspired to take it to another level so have been teachings at the college and university level as of late. This is making a long story short, but I think that this person had more influence on my professional life than anyone.

Thanks for sharing this story, George. You were lucky to have such a mentor.

What kind of things do you to to try to play the same role with your students?

Finding people who are good at mentoring is a rare thing. I have seen very few who have the skills fully developed. I had the good fortune to work for a great mentor for a short while. He was able to help me look at my performance from a different perspective. He helped me to develop some critical professional skills and taught me to look at things from other vantage points than my own. As a result, I often catch myself taking actions or making mistakes that I can quickly correct. I try to emulate the lessons I learned but I never feel like I am as good as my earlier mentor.

LE,

Most of us feel that we can never measure up to the best mentors we have had. I'll bet if you asked those mentors why they were so good, they would tell you that they were not as good as the mentors they have.

As teachers, we never know how far our influence will spread. Just keep trying to be helpful and someday one of your students will probably write about you as the mentor, even if you do not realize it now.

I agree wholeheartedly with this philosophy. I learned this the hard way more than once. I just did not seem happy at any of my jobs until I was blessed with the opportunity to earn my degrees and work as an online health science college instructor.

I found my passion and my love in teaching. I am happy at what I do now and feel such a sense of fulfillment that I had not felt previously.

I love to help people and always loved research to assist others, so the teaching profession definitely suits me well.

Great post,
Voneece Ginger Little

Yes, many mentors have made positive impacts in my life. My husband is a great example as he is is very supportive, wise, and has pushed me on in my quest to obtain even higher educational goals.

My other mentors have been college professors who saw in me something special that I did not always see or recognize. The ones who showed me they cared, they gave me a kind word or encouragement to make it through.

I am shaped in part by these experiences and do share this way of caring teaching with all of my students. I let them know I understand how they feel, they can be successful, and that I truly care for every one of them.

Voneece Ginger Little

I've long looked to Fritz Shonnenschmit of CIA in Hyde Park, NY as my mentor. Little did I know at the time that I would be using my experiences to affect lives today as a Culinary Instructor with Le Cordon Bleu.

Thank you, Marshall.

What was it about Mr. Schonnschmit that make him such a good mentor? What are some specific things you bring to your students that your mentor inspired in you?

Chef Schonnenschmit was simply so engaging, and inspiring as a teacher. He was also connected to his students through his accessability.

Thanks, Marshall!

I had a mentor that once told me, the day I stop encouraging you to do better is the day I think you have no more potential. I try to instill that same thought process in my students by encouraging them to work beyond what they think they are capable of accomplishing.

Thanks, Kevin. This is an excellent way to describe one of the things it takes to be a good mentor.

One of my mentors was a libraian. She encouraged me to continue with my education and was influential in my chosing to become a librarian. Through her, I learned how a whole world of knowledge can be opened up to a person that comes from a low income family, with no one having gone to college in my family previously.

She enstilled in me the desire to make this learning available to others and what better place than in a career college, where there are people that came from similar backgrounds as myself.

I feel that what I gained from knowing her, I am providing to others as a result. She encouraged me to have faith in myself, make goals, and pursue a "vision." This is what I feel that I am giving to our customers and that is it's own reward.

Thank you, Frances.

You need to share your story with as many students as possible. Over 75% of the students in career colleges come from households with parents who never attended college. You are a similar other that has been where they are and has gotten to where they want to be.

Thank you Dr. Schillinger -

I have tried to do that over the years. This is not the first proprietary setting I have worked in since becoming a librarian. I have seen that relating to the students on their levels pay off many times, which is very fulfilling. I don't think all faculty, program Directors, and Administration understand the value of having someone as part of the middle-management team that can relate closely to our students' backgrounds since they don't come from such a situation themselves.

Also, despite knowing that I am as good as the next, many of them look down on this factor of my background and make me feel unimportant. I try to rise above that issue. Any good suggestions as to how to overcome this bias?

Sign In to comment