Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Thanks, Steve. What are a few of the "desirable traits" you reference?

Thanks, Scott. It is not often that "spouse" is referenced as a mentor. I think this is great.

i had a boss when i was younger that taught me a very important skill, when he was frustrated or stumped he would walk around the building or get a soda. this would clear his mind and when he returned to the task the problem would be right in front of him and he would be able to complete the task. this taught me how to stay calm and focused. this is a extremly improtant skill when working with young people. when an instructor gets frustrated it affects the learning process

Most of us have had mentors that significantly influenced our thoughts, actions and directions. Can you explain how one or two mentors have truly impacted your life? What effect has that had on your role as a career educator?

I had a supervisor about 15 years ago that took the time during a performance review to coach me as to how I could improve and grow as a person. He stopped when he recognized resistance expressed by my countenance. He asked me, if I just wanted a review or had a desire to grow. I chose growth and encouraged him to share his feedback and recommendations. It changed me significantly and I consider it a major turning point in my career.

Thanks, Stephen.

What are some specific things that you do to inspire a desire to grow in your students?

The first Army Warrant Officer I had as a boss influenced me so much I relisted in the army and became a Warrant myself. He was able to teach so much and how to work together, his teaching has helped me my entire life.

Thank you, Donald.

What made this man so special? How do you apply what you learned from him as you interact with students?

This man had a great way of communicating with jokes and getting people to feel more relaxed when he was teaching or assetting. He would always make you feel good about working with him and our accomplishments. I always try to have fun in my class I think we can share information much more easily this way.

The first step I take to inspire desire is to get to know them. I ask questions and then simply listen to them. I enjoy being in the moment as the students share their thoughts and ideas. I believe this is the first step to actually having the ability to actually have impact. You must have an understanding of where the students are coming from and what problems they are facing. What drives the student? What is their motivation? Only then, am I able to speak to the value the education they are pursuing will match their goals and vision.

This supervisor took the time to seriously provide constructive feedback. It was clear to me that he sincerely wanted me to succeed and he knew that I had to make some changes in order to do so. When I am counseling a student in regards to behavior or discipline, I make an effort to build a rapport with him/her. I want the student to see my heart. If am successful, I will not only adress the issue at hand but I will have an impact on their future success and development.

Thanks, Stephen.

Your peers who read this will be receiving good advise.

Sign In to comment