Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

as for a mentor in my "life" it would have to have been my father, the most important words he ever said to me were, "you know right from wrong" and I have lived those words to the best of my ability to this day.

Now as for a mentor in my current career, I would have to say it was my Hontech Instructors Eric Bartosky and Mike Ross when I was going to school. Now, ironically I work beside both of them from time to time and am commonly known to my students by the label given to mne by Eric as "success story".

I am a walking and talking testimate to the instruction and tutalage that I have received at MMI as a former student myself. Because I am now an instructor back here at MMI sharing with my students the learning that made me a professional success in this chosen career.

Thanks, Earl. It sounds like your students are in good hands.

Cristina,

What are one or two things you do intentionally other than looking at the students, (which is great),to make them feel important?

Thank you, Darrell. My dad was my greatest mentor. His advise and example were very simmilar to what you expressed in this post.

I always make sure I remember their name. I always ask about the children and/or the family -- how they are doing. I go out of my way when an instructor informs me of an absence. I call personally and ask how I can help. Mostly I am able to assist in some way when it comes to transportation and work problems (conflict). They like it when you ask them to come to my office and share a few minutes and just talk about them. It helps me understand their concerns and am able to help them effectively.

Thanks, Cristina. Showing this type of caring is what separates good schools from the rest.

Miss williams was my mentor I am able to provide for my children today because she did not let me quit school. I use to think of her like as a spy.
She always knew when I needed help.
A good mentor most know when the students need a litle nurturing

My undergraduate counselor has been my mentor ever since. She inspired me to believe in what each person can do and become. I remember her telling me that there is at least one important thing that each person can do and will not be done unless they do it. That put to perspective each person's contribution and how we as those supporting them in reaching their potential must continue to empower them.

Now I approach my students with the same belief and support as I was given by my mentor.

I decided to become a teacher in 3rd grade--really! I was blessed with more than one amazing instructor in elementary school. Later, in high school, I met the English teacher that helped me determine what course I was meant to teach.

Good teachers saw me as more than just another student. They cared about me beyond the walls of the classroom. In contrast, poor teachers taught me how I never wanted to be.

In addition, I have an amazing family who always believed that I would succeed. Many of my students lack this type of support, so I am known as both "work mom" to my peers and "school mom" to my students. I love spending time with students--letting them know that I care and believe in them--just as my old teachers did and just as my family still does for me.

Thank you, Karen.

What specifically did you high school teacher do that influenced you so positively?

I had an aunt years ago that taught school. For some reason I just loved seeing her and wanted to be just like her. I believe my goal of getting my education degree started there. Later on when I changed directions and got into healthcare I found that I wanted to combine both teaching and Healthcare so I got into medical coding and teaching. I enjoy working with my students very much and credit alot of my success to a former supervisor who pushed me to get certified in coding and held me accountable when I didn't want to go on. I also have a supervisor now at the school where I teach who is a big reason I am still here.

Leading by example is critically important. Nobody can respect a mentor if they don't do what they say and say what they do.

When I think of one of my mentors, the word that comes to mind is "approachable." This person has always been easy to talk with, no matter what the content might be. I have tried to incorporate this quality into my own life so that when a student has a "trivial" concern, it is never projected back in that light. Other qualities I have learned to appreciate involve calmness, balance, thinking before speaking and NOT acting on emotions. We might feel with our hearts but I believe we need to think with our heads.

Hello Dr. Pace!

The most memorable mentors of my life have been those human beings who were willing to give me respect without my having to earn it. I have learned the most from individuals who give unconditional, positive regard to all.

How and why, if I may ask, do you believe the old saying, "Respect is earned, not given", came to be?

Namaste,
Shelia

I agree with you Jacki. My biggest mentor in the past few years has been a person who didn't let me get by with something. She was my boss and if I did something wrong she let me know it but the way in which she did was just as you describe she was generally calm and balanced in her approach. Consequently, I learned more from those mistakes and tried not to make them again. I think if she had yelled or even raised her voice the final results would have not been as good for me. I try to remember that when talking to students. Sometimes we think what they are asking or wanting is trival or unimportant but then you must stop and think it is important to them.

Thanks, Linda. The best mentors usually require us to be accountable without making us feel like we cannot do something.

Thanks, Jacki.

What are some things you do to try to bring what your mentor brought to you to your students?

Trying to keep a positive attitude and looking for the good in people and situations rather than the negative. My mentors have always been fantastic at that. I also try to have a holistic and proactive approach rather than a reactive response.

My mentor was Joann Jones, RN. She was the Director of Surgical Services where I was a circulator. She convinced me to become the Charge Nurse where we were working. She helped me to hone my management skills and education for this role. Becaue of her individualized mentoring, I went on to become the Administrator of an Ambulatory Surgery Center for over 12 years. During this time I obtained my MBA. Part of my job duties is to educate my employees with inservices. I found that I really enjoyed teaching and decided to move my career in that direction.

Thank you, Judith.

Teaching is a very rewarding profession, as is nursing. What were some of the specific things that Ms. Jones did that lead you to accepting her as your mentor?

Sign In to comment