Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Frances,

The situation you describe is not all that uncommon. I am not sure people really understand the role that Librarians play in a good school. In addition to being a resource to help students find resources, you are also available to be the sympathetic ear and problem solver for students.

One thing you might try is getting involved with things like planning graduation, planning orientation or facilitating tutoring. Ask instructors how you can help them in their specific courses or how you can help with individual students. When students come to you with issues, see if you can link the students with appropriate school resources. Wlak the students to the Dean and ask the Dean if he or she has a minute to talk to this student.

You cannot do a whole lot about the biases others bring to the school, but your contributions outside of the libray may be helpful in reducing the bias. I am sure you are doing some of these things already.

When I started in the automotive repair industry I was young and inexperienced. I was full of self doubt, not sure I could be successful. Then, an older tech began to give me advice. He would let me borrow special tools that I sometimes did not have. He would say it did not matter how long the job took to finish as long as it was done properly. The mentoring this man provided was a gift. The thing is ,at the time, I had no idea that I was being mentored. I only knew that with this mans kindness and encouragement I finally became a good tech myself. I am thankful I now work as an instructor so I can mentor my students and give them the same encouragement that I got.

Thank you for sharing this, Paul.

You were fortunate to have such a good mentor. Your students are fortunate that you want to be a mentor for them.

What are one or two specific things you do intentionally to position yourself as a mentor for your students?

My father has significantly influenced me. As an educator himself, he has modeled how to be a mentor to students and fellow staff. He utilizes compassion, and models excellent behavior.

Thanks, Julie. This post made me smile as my dad was easily the greatest and best influece on my life. In fact, no one was close.

What are some of the "excellent" behaviors yoy model for your students? How do you know if they are internalizing the importance of those behaviors?

The mentors I had were at the first 2 jobs I had while attending High School. One was kind of a foreman and the other a manager. Both were very helpful in getting me used to being in a shop type enviroment and working with others. Now 30 years later I often look back and think about things they said or did when I am put into certain situations.

I have had mentors who are not motivated and just looking to make it to retirement and then those mentors who are ready to work and try new ideas. I enjoy working with a challenging mentor as if I am not offered challenges then I will great my own goals.
Jennifer

Thank you, Patrick.

What are some specific things you do to put yourself into being a potential mentor for your students?

I have had many teachers, instructors, mentors and managers in which I have learned valuable life lessons from. I would not be the person I am today if it was not for them taking the time to show me that they care. I always do my best to pass on that level of caring to my students.

Thank you for sharing this, Edward.

What are some specific things you do to pass that same level of caring on to your students?

One of my mentors has had a major impact on how I teach. She was an amazing instructor but also had the ability to be personable to everyone and show she cared.

My first mentor, was my first chef. He guided me, was inspiration, and firm but fair. My role as a career educator has been influenced by his mentoring and management style.

My mentor is a Director of Education. She brought me into the teaching aspect of the post-secondary schools. I have enjoyed it ever since, and would not change my career. Instructor have a career. When it becomes a job it is time to retire.

I have had many good mentors that have showed me how to have good work ethic and work toward a higher goal. this what I try to pass on.

I was (and still am!) very tall. I had a high school history teacher - Mrs. Franck - who was also very tall. She was bubbly, interesting, caring, and empathetic. Mrs Franck turned each and every class into an adventure by enthralling us with stories coinciding with the subject matter. Mrs. Franck not only made me gain much self-esteem and pride in my height, but she made me want to do the best job that I could possibly do in her classroom. As an educator, I often compare my students to flowers; they bloom and flourish with proper sunlight, water, and attention (guidance, encouragement, praise, and self-pride). Thank you, Mrs. Franck!

Thanks, Laurie! Mrs. Frank sounds great!

My grandfather was my most influential mentor. He had a positive outlook on life even though he passed away years ago I still remember the values he taught me.

When I was learning the "craft of training" I had a mentor that brought me along at the right pace. He first modeled the desirable traits during the class and then got my feedback on his session. We discussed what I saw and talked about how I would present the same material. He allowed me to be myself and not a clone of himself. We all have different personalities which means our teaching styles will also be different but equally effective.

The mentor in my life is my wife.She constantly tells me I can do anything I put my mind to. I went from turning wrenches to teaching students how to do it. I wanted to try being an instructor for many years but was afraid to take that giant step. Thanks to her I have been instructing for four years now and loving it.

Edward,

Itis intersting how often people talk about their grandparents as mentors. Both of my grandfathers passed away before I was one year old. I was blessed with a terrific father who plaed the mentor role for me.

Sign In to comment