Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The most important thing she did was show confidence in me. She knew I could do the job and she gave me the direction that I needed.

The first person to become my mentor was my husband. He encouraged me to go to school and feel good about myself. I also had a boss that always told me I could do anything and how proud he was of what I accomplished and how much smarter I was in school than he was. It made my self esteem and self worth rise.

Thanks, Judith!

I was fortunate to have really good mentors early in my teaching career (early 90’s). They spent a tremendous amount of time working with me during the early stages of teaching to ensure I would develop. Too often many new instructors tend to get toss to the wolves without the benefit of any guidance.
The effect it has on me know is I’m a firm believer that a mentor is really a requirement to help guide the new instructor. The few months is key to the overall success.

Thanks, Troy.

What was your biggest challenge when you started teaching? What are some of the specific things your mentor did to help you meet those challenges?

My first mentor was RCH and he showed me the importance of being prepared, holding true to your focus, and talking as candidly as you can.

One of my best mentors was able to see the work I could do and gave me that chance to dive in and show them. Because of his positive attitude and belief in my skills it just made me excel even more.

Karen,

Thanks for this post. How do you do the things your mentor did for you for your students?

Thanks, Ellen.

What are some specific things that RCH did help you understand the importance of being prepared, holding true to your focus and talking candidly?

What are some specific things you do to help your students internalize these things?

About 26 yrs ago, my boss kept playing these metaphysical tapes in his car as we visited schools. After about 3 months I picked up a book entitled, The Science of Mind by Ernest Holmes and ever since then my life changed dramatically. It certainly played to the intelligent heart and knowing what you believed impacted the outcomes. So now I only do positive affirmations and know that everyone I meet, I meet with love, and wow have people responded differently and my life has been blessed. One's attitudes and beliefs shape our lives, our bodies and minds.

Thanks, Gina.

It is great to hear that positive affirmations have had such a positive impact on your life.

What are some of the specific things you do in your school to help your students develop similar attitudes?

You always remind them they are here to reach a goal and change their life. We give student of the month awards. Some of these students have never been awarded anything so it really does give them confidenance.

I never really had mentors. I had folks that helped me, but did not take on that role. Having a support system of people that have "been there, done that" certainly helped me in my initial quest for my undergraduate degree. Those that have gone through the process before me, knows first hand the challenges and road blocks that I may face. Gaining insight from them helped me to make the right decisions with regards to my career choice. Not having them in my life is something that I do not want to think about, for they shaped my choices and career goals.

You can look at your support system as many mentors that cross our path during our lifetime and leave imprints that impact us more than others. Having positive and goal oriented people around you has an impact.

My mentor was the first female chef that allowed me to achieve my goal of becoming a sous chef under her. I trained under her positive, patient and nurturing tutelege all the while being pushed to meet a culinary bar I never thought I could reach. She believed in me and helped me belive in myself with a positive aproach to teaching that I never forgot and try to emulate everday in my own classroom.

Thanks, Shannon. You were fortunate to have this mentor in your life.

What are some specific things you do to position yourself to be a mentor for your students?

I cannot pick a single person out as being a mentor in my life. I have several people have learned valuable character traits from.
It is important to me to always be strong, yet fun, goofy & light-hearted; understanding yet fair; organized but able to compromise; have a positive outlook and not "worry" about things out of my control.

I also think in the classroom it is important to be REAL. I believe all these traits help my students to relate to me as a person as well as respect my knowledge as a nurse.

Thank you, Dana. You were fortunate to have several mentors that positively influenced you.

What are some of the specific things you do intentionally to be "real" to your students?

I have a great history that I share which alot of students can relate to... I was a young single mother living in the projects when I went to nursing school.
I also have ADD, and am the first to say 'oops' if I forget something. I think letting your flaws show helps them understand you are a REAL person - not perfect.

Thanks!

Sign In to comment