Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Implementing a meet and greet time with new students and instructors would inhance their first week of school. In turn, making students feel more connected to the school.

Ted,

I agree! Any opportunity for students to interact with faculty will help to acclimate them to the institution.

Susan Backofen

While we do have a strong Orientation in place, the first week activities are certainly lacking. I love the social ideas of events with food - with all departments participating; developing a support board is a great idea, and creating a buddy system for late enrollments. These ideas will offer additional positive results to our current retention.

As read in the module, food is an excellent way to get people to bond together. In the past, we have implemented a pizza party for new students and their instructors to talk about their goals of the career, how class is going, etc.

we have a new start Rally at the week of the first week in school. We cheer them, reinforce the fact that them can do it! We have a Q & A session, we as for feedback in order to help them. We bring in Career Service to speak on Licensure for job placement ande etc.
have food, games...Survival Kit ie we give them a rubber band-being flexible, Band Aid-for the Bumps and Bruises of Life and etc

We have clubs, so on the first day I really talk up all the clubs. I tell the students a little about the person running each club. I spend a lot of time on the first day getting to know them all, and telling them about myself, my background, and some of my experiences in my field.

In week #1 a course instructor will meet with students for a two hour session outside of normal class time. This session is called student success. It is more instructive than interactive and is optional. As a result many students do not show up and the they miss out on an opportunity to form bonds and learn skills and techniques for their success.

It would be great if this could be more enticing by making it more interactive and offering food while providing the necessary learning objectives.

Jennifer,

I agree. This sounds like a wonderful program if you can figure out how to get more of them involved.

Susan Backofen

The first week should not only focus on the academic aspects but also fun activities that allow the students to get to know one another and become more comfortable. Activities can include a pot luck or a pizza lunch half way through the week.

We make an effort to really get to know our students by name in the first week. We do a student appreciation event halfway through the quarter. We try to identify the at-risk students and work closely with them to keep them on track. We have one of the current student cohorts go in and introduce themselves to the new students to make them feel welcome and to hopefully get the cohorts talking and helping each other.

I am an adjunct instructor and usually get students after their first term. I ask them in the first classs how they feel they are progressing in their education so far to address concerns in this area which can be an immediate area of attention.

Any help that we as educators can share with each other it's to our benefit, excellent idea

As the Program Director I make it a point to find each new student and talk to them about how their first day/week is going. I try to find out if there are any problems and build a personal relationship.

Previously, the pastry instructors would send cookies to the incoming cuinary students as well as speak with them about the upcoming class, e.g. expectations. I still offer food as an ice breaker.

We (Student Services) welcome all students back with candy and greetings in their first week.

The second week of the new students classes we sit in on a class to get a feel for how they are opening up as a group and to observe them as individuals.

In the 8th week of the new student's program we have a class meeting to "check in" and update them on what to expect their next term.

Also in week 8 we have class representative meetings with upper class students to connect administration with the students to see what is going on for each group.

We have a student appreciation week (10th week)to interact with each group of students and offer some type of refreshment like popcicles, cider & cookies, etc... We involve the dean and other staff members in serving the students. They seem to enjoy this time each term.

Victoria,

Excellent idea to have cohorts 'adopt' another!

Susan Backofen

Kim,

This sounds like a great program. I especially like that you are proactive in observing and reaching out.

Susan Backofen

Karen,

This sounds like a wonderful idea....it sends a nice message!

Susan Backofen

With regards to the curriculum, setting clear expectations for the courses and a blueprint/game plan for success has helped me motivate students to become engaged from day 1. I do my best to demonstrate and explain the relevance of each days lesson and how the knowledge they gain will benefit them in their careers.
With regards to the students, I like to recap the information that was provided to them on orientation. I also discuss the on campus support resources as well as the clubs and volunteer opportunities that other students are participating in on campus.

We have always had an extensive orientation, so our first week activities have been minimal if anything. We will be cutting back our orientation in the future, and I think the idea of cookies with the President/staff is a great easy way to connect with students! There is a lot of Orientation than can be reinforced in casual conversation.

Sign In to comment