Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It probably is...but the thought of me doing the mechanical things is painful for me. That should be a lesson for us to always appreciate where students are coming from. Designing an orientation that addresses different learning styles and personalities is a challenge but very effective if you can incorporate those theories.

Susan

I couldn't agree more! One of the things I work hard to do is to learn the students' names. This is definitely a work in progress on my part but it really makes the students feel special.

Kathleen--

I know what you mean about names...except it sounds like you are much better with it than I. For whatever reason, that is difficult for me but I am able to remember little details about them like having pets, or their goals. Remembering something about them is important and builds community. Making students feel special and connected is the name of the game!

Susan

I agree with this 100%. As registrar at my institute, I will interact with well over half of our returning student body to find an agreeable schedule. It is so easy just to ask "How are your classes going this semester?" or "are you enjoying your ______ class this semester?" It is amazing how much the students will gladly engage in conversation about this. I also feel that students like to know that you are taking an interest in them on a personal, one on one basis. They will be more likely to come forward when the answer to the previously mentioned questions is not so positive.

Andrews--

Absolutely! If everyone would simply take an interest as they interact with students, it is amazing how far this goes in helping students bond with the institution. Good for you! Keep up the good customer service.

Susan

I think the classroom interaction is extremely important. Having the students get to know one another is a valuable asset. It can be a fun activity that challenges the students to learn the names of their clasmates, their majors and why they have chosen to come to collge. Every new student questions whether or not they made the right decision and wonders if they will fit in, I think getting to know a little about their classmates will let them know that they have more in common than they realized.

I think the "who I am" on the first day of class is a great idea. It will help everyone feel more comfortable and feel more at ease by realizing there are other mom's, dad's, grandparent's, homemakers, those that work full time and still find time for school, etc.

Yes, I really like that idea as well. There are certainly some excellent ideas out there from our fellow institutions! Of course, the effectiveness of these ideas depends on making sure the facilitator/faculty member (whomever is doing that particular activity)is keyed in to the 'mission' of the activity.

Student bonding, in some respects, is the single most effective things we can help create. The ability for them to keep each other in school can be an awesome and wonderful thing!

I agree with you Tammy. I think the students need to get to know one another for comfort factor right away. The sooner they know there are others just like them, the sooner they feel the fit and move on with focus on class. We do a quick exercise on the first day of orientation where the students get into groups, which ultimately become their actual sections for classes. In these groups they learn age ranges, who lives where, who needs a ride and who can give a ride, hobbies, goals etc. It is real easy for them to learn how to connect with one another outside of school. We give them a copy of the lists they make while in the groups, which includes their names, addressess and phone numbers and emails. It's been working out great. I also like the build your own name tag advice given earlier.

I am starting to think in terms of a "social" of some kind to get all the new students together and include the faculty in general.

We could discuss concerns the students may have or stumbling blocks they encountered during their first week.

We already have a student appreciation day about half way through each term which is a social gathering for students. It might include ice cream sundaes, grilled hamburgers and hot dogs, chili, soup, etc. We involve the dean and other staff members in serving the students. They seem to enjoy this time each term.

Doing something on a smaller scale during the first week for the new students might also be helpful to creating fellowship among the students.

Oops, I just realized that I am doing forum 4 when I should be doing forum 3. I'll post this anyway.

Someone in a previously discussion thread had a regular lunch meeting with a small group of students to hear what they had to say. It's an excellent practice and I am always surprised at what students suggest! Sometimes administrators are reluctant to do that, but it pays big dividends in retention and student satisfaction.

Susan

One of the tools that I use in my classroom as both an ice-breaker and an exercise in creativity is one that I have used with all age groups. On the back of their information sheet that they fill out, I have them write down one or two things about themselves that no one else can say. I usually get the ball rolling by sharing that I met Danny Glover in a vegetarian restaurant in Birmingham. They always come up with all sorts of special talents/skills, stories, etc. Normally, they get a few laughs and get to know each other, as well.

Richard--

EXCELLENT exercise! It must really break the ice. I can only imagine some of the information you must get; and it really makes it a personal experience for all involved. Kudos!

Susan

We pair up the students and they interview each other with a list of prepared questions. After some time talking, each partner introduces the other to the rest of the class. During this time students often find carpool buddies, those with similar interests, and new friendships.

Excellent! Peer support is an important key to retention and this type of ice-breaker is highly effective.

Susan

We attempt to bring in recent graduates that have found success in their chosen market. They give the new students a first hand story of what to expect and how valuable the education they are receiving is.

Our new students are motivated and inspired to excell. Could it go wrong? Yes, but it hasn't.

I'm going to start a carpool sign up sheet that I'll hand out during orientation so students can get to know eachother and find out who lives near them. This will also address one of the many issues in starting a new school, transportation. I'm also going to start having students write down their goals for once they finish the program and why they chose to come to our school in the first place. This way, when I meet with students who are placed on academic or attendance probation I can show them the paper with the goals they listed to remind them of the drive they possessed when they first arrived and talk about what has caused them to stray from that. I think reminding them of how they felt when they first started will motivate them to regain their focus and it will also help me find out if there's anything about our practices as an institution that causes them to lose sight of these goals or become discouraged so that I can then address those issues in staff meetings and we can create a better learning environment for our students.

You can always try to make the orientation as interesting as possible. Using minor stimulants, such as goodies given out as well as success stories of students from the past that have graduated from the school.

You can always try to make the orientation as interesting as possible. Using minor stimulants, such as goodies given out as well as success stories of students from the past that have graduated from the school.

Orientation should be motivating, for sure. Success stories are always an uplifting event because that is why students enroll to begin with. Attending classes are a necessary evil on their way to where they really want to be. No surprise, students who keep their focus on the end result persist at a higher rate.

Susan

Sign In to comment