Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

We often host a student luncheon during their first month. We have continuous entry so it is hard to always plan for the first week. We find most students attend this and they have an opportunity to mix with students from other classes.

I think the class picture is a really neat idea. Also, our instructors are bucking at the idea of having to "telesit"; call students who obviously don't want to be there. It helps to get the perspective/idea of having an admissions rep call them since the trust there has already been built. I would like to run this by our DOE. It would breed more openness as well since the person making the phone call is not the same one who is giving them a grade.

I introduce myself first and tell them to make sure they are where they need to be. I tell them how and why I do things a certain way so they see the big picture. I have student folders so they can check their progress at any time. I make sure we do at least one assignment. I have my students do classroom work in groups. I want them to start building relationships as soon as possible. We also grade out loud. They usually do better than they think they would. I encourage questions. At the end of the week I always ask if everything is ok and if not, we find a solution.

I realize this can be time consuming, but I feel it really helps the student to feel a sense of importance as well as helping the class as a whole feel connected. On the first day of class, I will have each student to stand and tell us who he is, where he is from, how many classes he's completed, and hi aspirations after graduating. The students get a snap shot at one anothers goals and helps them to feel that they are not alone in pursuit of a dream.

I also start a lesson and a lab the first day, stressing how much we can learn in the next three weeks.

On the first day of the course, I have each student to stand and tell the class his name, where he is from, how many courses he has completed, and his asperations & plans. I have noted that the students start to relax and open dialog with one another after this excercise.

Within the first few days of the course, I take them to lab and go through some tasks with them, this helps them to get familliar with thier lab team and working as a team, they don't feel isolated. Also, they realize it is important to attend the first day and every day or they will miss something important.

Howard--

This sounds like excellent practice. I especially like getting right in to the 'meat' of the material the first day so they have a good feel for all they will learn. That's important to have the first day feel like it was worthwhile and get them pumped up on the course material.

Susan

Giving the students more oportunities and using different methods like internet and booklets to give the students the information from the orientation would be a good move. quizing the students on the main points of the orientation and giving token prizez for their effors would could also enhance the experience.

The students entering our career school during the first week attend professional development. During that time students are shown where there classrooms are and they meet with their instructors and memebers of the education department and other facilty members. We also engage the student in group activities that are fun and where they form a bond with their peers. It's a great way to initate the student into the school environment.

Elizabeth--

That sounds like a wonderful process. Including all the faculty and providing opportunity for them to interact with each other and build relationships is outstanding.

Susan

I love the idea of calling the new students at home druing the second week. I believe that will enhance their experience. Right now, I'm going to the attendance folder to see if anyone has missed a class in the first week. I'll call them right away. This is the greatest idea. If it were me, I would appreciate the call. It would tell me that someone cares.

I liked the suggestion to have graduates speak to new students; this is something we could work to implement through our alumni association.

Incorportate out of school activities such as sporting events, trips to the musiums, galleries etc. Student centered activities can also include game nights, basketball and dodgeball tournaments, and other fun activities that are geared to getting students together.

The studnets do a scavenger hunt, and we provide them with local area maps with places of employment

Ty--

Excellent point. Not everything we do to build community with our institutions has to take place AT our facilities.

Susan

Terry--

Excellent...this gets them up and moving as well as providing information. I especially like the employment opportunities. Have you considered putting other resources on there (e.g. public transportation, social services, etc.)?

Susan

Our director who also teaches a class, has an extra ID printed up for everyone in his class so he can put a face with the name before he even enters the classroom.

Since we are a culinary school, the food-in-the-classroom idea is a given. Instead, it might be a good idea to have first-week students contribute to their own education by possibly suggesting recipes that may be added to the curriculum, designing teambuilding activities or suggesting alternative assessment strategies. When students feel they have a say in their own education, it can be very motivating.

Michael--

Excellent idea...or at the very least maybe 'improvements/enhancements' to the recipe prepared. Gives them the opportunity to start thinking about putting their own touch on things.

Susan

We have two orientations the week before class. One takes place on Thursday evening and one is on Saturday. Students who miss both orientations are encouraged to meet one-on-one with their admissions advisors during the first week of class. During the first week of class coffee, donuts and beagles are left out for student in the lobby in the morning. In the evening snacks like chips are left out and drinks like soda and bottle water are available in the 1st floor lobby.

We also have optional orientations during the first week of class for students taking blended or online classes. Students who are new to distance learning really benefit from attending this orientation. All of the instructors are required to call students who miss class particularly during the first two weeks of class. During the second or third week we have a campus cookout where the Campus President and other staff members cook food for the students! It is a lot of fun! Retention is an ongoing concern that goes behind the first two weeks of class. During the quarter (semester) weekly emails are sent out to staff and faculty about students who have missed multiple classes. People who personally know a student are asked to contact the student and find out what is going on.

Salena--

This sounds like an excellent program and that you have certainly covered many bases!

Could you tell me a little more about the content of your orientations? I am also interested in your program for online learners--do you do that online?

Susan

Sign In to comment