Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I like to take them in a tour and on the tour of the school; I interact with the student and with the entire faculty that we see along the way.

Try to get the families of the tridents to participate by having activities that allow them to share in that moment .

As an online school we can implement a Virtual Coffee in our platform where our students can participate each other. Faculty and advance students could be invited to his activity to encourage and motivate them to succeed.

WE ice break by having the students write up a 1 year, 3 year, and 5 year goal....asks a few choice questions regarding the new sutdent like dothey have other licensures, where do they presently work, etc. and then each one goes around robin and gives a brief 2 min. who they are while the instructor has the copy of there goals....this form is then kept in the students file so that all instructors can see it and if they start to miss classes we have that form to remind them of there original goals which puts them back into focus. One of the instructors of the programs does the orientation day so the students already know one instructor they will be having.

I like the idea of having a first module completion ceremony for students. This is one way to get every student in your department to connect with the new students.
This would help each class meet their fellow classmate.

Vanessa ,

...me too! And, having some type of celebration after the first module would be appropriate. Those who complete the first session are much more likely to return.

Susan Backofen

During the first week of class I spend 30-45 minutes taking students through the material posted on the class portal for the course. It's safe to say that the connection they feel to platforms like Facebook is much stronger than the institution's portal. However, by taking them through it and showing the importance of the items and links within it we try to encourage this as a "first-stop" when it comes to keeping track of what's going on in the course.

Admissions may support their students by performing quality assurance checks, addressing clarifying questions, ensuring that late enrolled students receive information packets and meet with faculty/administration. It may be wise to integrate a student appreciation food event at the end of the first module of classes, allowing the new students to share their experiences among each other, as well as, networking with senior students who may help reinforce the programs of study and career outlook.

A new orientation process that allows an all-day session where they get to interact with current students and learn their way around campus while they meet and get to learn more about the services we offer. Orientation used to be just a 2 hour event and now we have moved it to all day where guests are also invited to help support their needs and fears.

Currently, we visit their class frequently to remind them we are there to help and encourage them to visit us. We learn their names quickly and greet them in the halls. Since our evening classes only have a 15 minute break, we've tried to get creative. We have handed out candy, cookies, bumper stickers, pens, etc. We are now considering a "Get to Know You" pizza welcome night, and inviting Career Services and faculty.

I always ask the student to write a paragraph on why they have choosen this school and what will this school do for your future. I feel that will keep them focused on their goals.

Damien,

That's a great idea! And then these can be used as great retention tools (reminders) as students become weary on the way to graduation.

Susan Backofen

I really like that idea! It is much less "formal" than a structured interview and is an opportunity to grab a number of students at the same time. This would also enhance student bonding.I would want to be sure we didn't miss an exchange with students who chose not to attend - this would not be everyone's "cup of tea" so having other methods in order to reach everyone would be necessary. Do they provide lunch or "brown bag" it?

the first week of school is very important to the students because we want them to feel comfortable in the setting, assist with any fore coming issues, explain how the class will be taught and homework assignments and reintroduce them to all departments on a tour around the school

I love the first week of classes. I make sure that I am very clear about my expectations, rules, grading etc. I also memorize every students name (usually 25 to 30) first day. I have them share their reason for enrolling, then have them share their expectations of the school and their learning experience. This is all done with a couple of interactive activities to build a team environment. I also give a quiz day two to check comprehension of the rules and expectations

I am currently teaching an evening class and we are one of only two classes on campus that late making it can be diffiucult to incorporate activities that involve other campus departments. On the last day of the first week I allowed students to bring food to class to share with their classmates. I was so surprised how something this simple really helped to break the ice and get the students visiting with one another. They warmed up and mingled during their breaks and it totally changed the tone of the class. This was the first time I tried this and will definetly do it again, but sooner!

I have implemented with each department to visit each class daily to say Hi and give words of encouragement. Students notice when we don't visit. They will say, Ms. Bausley where have you been, is everything ok because we haven't seen you in two days. It's amazing how I have built a relationship with the students and how much they care when I don't visit. It feels like I have to report to them daily but I love it because they know I am concerned with them and they are concerned about me. I will implement a first week activity like nacho day and have the staff and faculty serve our students. another way our students feel connected to our school is always involve them in developing activities. when I visit the classroom, I ask them what activity should we have and they have great ideas and they always want to volunteer to make flyers, bring music, etc, etc. After any event I read them a poem I have personally written and provide a certificate to add to their portfolio. They love it! Sometimes it feels like a lot of work but my retention rate as been an average of 98%. I do care about my student success.

Lisa,

:) Food is always a great community event and I think helps to build relationships in a way that is very different than what typically goes on in class.

Susan Backofen

Michele,

Fantastic! It is the little things that often we take for granted that make a huge difference.

Susan Backofen

explain what they have to look foward to and all the pluses of the course.

Sign In to comment