Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Stephan,

Great! This gives them an opportunity to succeed and also reinforce the information.

Susan Backofen

Mary,

Food is good! It adds a relaxing and social component that allows people to interact at a different level.

Susan Backofen

Food is a powerful factor, and luckily it is extremely easy to procure at this particular institution. I have 'potluck' days where students bring in various items to share with the class. I start the ball rolling the first week, cooking something simple like pasta or various salads. By the end of the class cycle, there are times I have to bring in other classes to help eat all the food! And, our Academic Director has vowed to cook a meal of the classes choosing if they get perfect attendance throughout the class. These two things have gotten an amazing amount of response from the students.

I like to personally meet with each student to find /identify any areas I can help with. Often I will try to find a mentor for at risk students.

Luke,

Makes me hungry :) This is also a great way to provide an informal setting for students to get to know each other. Kudos!

Susan Backofen

There are many activities that can enhance the students activities the first week for eg, banks accounts enrollments, participate in encounters of knowledge ect....

Homework and participation in class, interaction between students during class

We are considering a "Welcome Packet" for each student. This includes a checklist of activities that must be completed before the first week is concluded> Activities include:
1. tour to the Book Store for supplies,
2. orientation by all Directors,
3. class start picture,
4. School policies "Do's & Don'ts"
5. Term mentorship for the entire 7-month.
6. list of faculty name & email.

This project is being considered for the June 11th start. We continue to update the activities to ensure success.

Arthur,

I love the idea...and if possible to make somewhat customized for each student would be even better!

Susan Backofen

I take the massage students on a tour of the massage clinic where they will do their "intern" hours before graduation.

Jill,

Excellent! Showing students the end-result, especially when there are physical visuals, is very inspiring for new students.

Susan Backofen

I feel it is a must to post on board what will be expected of the students, also a daily schedual.

I am developing discussion topics which will focus the students on their goals and why they are attending. I shall finish with all the benefits they can expect to glean from their experience.

John,

That is a great visual, daily reminder!

Susan Backofen

As time permits, I like to walk new students through the halls of administration to show them where each office is located. I also show them our board with pictures, names, and department/role of all faculty and admin staff. We are a small school, it permits this.

On the first day of class, we go over the orientation again. We also hand out uniforms and make a big deal about everyone coming in the net day in their uniforms. We also introduce the instructors- go over expectations and rules- and pass out books. Our classes are four hours long- so they also have class the first day. On the second day, we provide breakfast and make a big deal about everyone being in their uniforms and being a cohort. We encourage them to get to know one another over the breakfast. On day 3 we do their badges- again cemeting them as part of the institution. If anyone misses in the first week, then the program director calls them to find out what is going on.

We do a "Lunch with the president" forum. However, that the student may not feel entirely comfortable attending. The student must feel comfortable to speak and administration must follow-through on suggestions or else the forum is not effective.

Heather,

This sounds exciting! Students in a cohort modality with uiforms that make them feel like professionals already. What a wonderful retention tool.

Susan Backofen

Steven,

True. I love this program, but am always surprised at how many students are very intimidated. This is an excellent practice run, however, for speaking with management later in their professional careers.

Susan Backofen

I think that there should be a meeting for all new students during the first week with that students department head so that they can ask any questions that they might still have.

Sign In to comment