Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

We reassure students that they are not alone in their andevor to achieve success in their chosen field.We, as faculty make sure the students are made aware that before and after class, I as well as other faculty are available to lend an ear so to speak with concerns pertaining to class or on personal matters which many times is the case.

In our breakout sessions, we have students currently enrolled in the programs as well as graduates in the field for new students to meet and talk with regarding the school, their program, and career counseling services.
The Program Directors also meet with the specific program groups in this meeting, giving the new students specifics on class requirements, services provided, and what they can expect as far as courses required, hours to complete program, reviews offered for certifications, and other items relevant to their matriculation.
In our general session, we point out our open door policy, discuss the advisability of seeking tutoring early and often, maintaining attendance as part of the success quotient, and discuss activities that the students will expect to have occur, including and awards and recognition ceremonies we hold. We address the idea that their success is first and foremost. The Administrative Academic Team is introduced and we talk a little about what we do to assist them while they are enrolled, encouraging them to understand that they should not hesitate to seek assistance from any of us for what they might need.
In regards to activities, awards, and recognitions, what are some things you might recommend to enhance what we already do.

We have A Student Advisor/Counselor. We hold Award ceremonies where award certificates for President's, Dean's, and Honor's List, as well as Perfect and Exemplary Attendance. We also do a Student of the Quarter rotating between departments for students that show outstanding achievement, attitude, service to the students and the school, etc. We provide faculty tutoring as well as Peer Tutors. The Library is an Enrichment Center where the tutors work, computers are accessible and all library resources are available. There are even weekend hours offered.

Do you have other ideas which we might implement to enhance our students' collegiate experience?

That professional counseling for various issues is available.
That tutoring is available for free and encouraging students to seek it and as often as they need to do so.
That there is an open door policy where the students should feel comfortable to address any issues that they have with their instructors, Program Directors, Director of Education, etc.
Present guidelines, standards, and expectations upfront at Orientation with reinforcement provided by information on a USB drive we give them at Orientation that provides documents they can refer to if they have questions and don't want to ask someone else first.

During the 1st orientation Administration goes over rules, regulations, what to expect on campus and so forth. Then when they get to each class they are given a review of what was said during orientation and then they are given an overview of the class they are currently in. There are also student body mentors that are available to each student as well as faculty advisors for each student.

One of the fears is being able to understand the material. We share at orientation that our school offers free tutoring for all subjects from instructors and prior students. We encourage them to take advantage as soon as they are stressed and share success stories of students who have raised their grades.

I always remind them that they are not the only ones starting class for the first time everyone in their class is coming for the first time this lets them know they are not alone with their fears of fitting in that this is new to the entire class,and I let them know its okay to be nervous but also assure them they i will be here to assist them every step of the way so they know they are not alone in their process.I also maintain a relationship with them during their entire time even if i just give them a friendly hello or how's things going.

Many of our students are jobless, have children and even in some cases homeless. We have partnered with many local non-profit organizations that we can refer our students to. We changed our Mission to include the statement "....we further strive to help our students grow and develop as individuals to become happy and productive members of their families and communities.".

Every employee believes that statement. All of our staff and administration have strong relationships with many of our students. We truly are a "School that cares" and we have seen retention grow because of the extra services, even outside of our institution, that we are able to help our students with.

Roger,

That is wonderful! So many times, we forget to be really proactive with these issues and they make such a difference in the student being able to persist.

Susan Backofen

I thin that this sounds like a lot of fun and anything that can be done to motivate the students to get involved on campus is great!

We have webinars, seminars and open days before the start of classes.
The main idea is to answer all their questions. It's hard to break the ice at formal events, but these "casual" activities allow know each other much better.

Sign In to comment