Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Having realized that many of our students have not attended school for quite some time and have "forgotten" how to study, we supply each of them with "A Guide to Effective Studying Techniques." It has helped them overcome the fears related to homework and testing. We are also attempting to ease the fear of not knowing anyone by either pairing or grouping the new students together depending on the number of starts at any given time. Volunteers are sought from current students to act as mentors to the new students.

Hello Dr. Stover! Welcome to our forum

These sound like excellent opportunities to overcome the fear of failure so many students have when returning to school. Even if they did well before, taking that time off seems to do them in at times.

I especially like the mentoring idea. Do you have a particular way these students are identified and/or trained? Do you have a recognition program in place for them?

Susan

To address the "first day" fears of students, a special convocation is scheduled on the Thursday and Friday before the first week of the term. At this convocation the students will be able to meet their instructors and receive information on their classes. In addition, the students have the opportunity to meet the support staff, receive informtion on tutoring and walk through the campus to find where their classes are, instead of doing this on the first day of classes. A morning and evening convocation is scheduled so that we meet the needs of the working student. We are a small university in Indiana.

Welcome Mynelle!

This is an excellent structure, allowing new students to get acquainted with the faculty, staff and campus prior to everyone being on campus. It certainly makes them 'stick out' less the first day and no doubt takes away a great deal of anxiety.

Susan

An activity I plan on introducing at my college is something we did at my own college orientation 10 years ago.

We broke up into small groups and were asked to share with each other our biggest fear. Not only did it give us the chance to vocalize our fears, it helped us bond with other students. This emotional connection with other students really helped in the first weeks of school.

In my orientation I try to address students fear of asking questions by letting them know it is not embarracing to ask questions. It's cool to ask because that shows that your there to learn. If you are spending alot of money for a trade school and you leave not understanding something because you didn't ask, then that is a waste of time and money.

Terry--

That's great, and so true! And 9 times out of 10 others have the same question, but framing it as a way for them to get the most out of their tuition investment is excellent.

Throughout orientation, we reinforce the student's decision to change his or her life through education and that everyone on the campus is there to help them be successful. They view a video in which graduates talk about their experiences at the college. In addition to managers being present, our student services coordinator talks about how she can assist students with life issues that may arise and she often has one or more student ambassadors there to talk about their role on campus.

The video of your graduates is an especially great idea. Students love to 'see' themselves, successfully completing the program. It gives them an opportunity to feel they can succeed. Great idea!

We Have the students meet with the president and all staff who are there to partner with them to get to graduation

We discuss obstacles and fears to educational success and provide avenues for assistance for the student. We introduce different services and personnel that can work with the students along their educational path.

The first week of class I go into every classroom and introduce myself and let them know of all the resources available to them. i.e tutoring, resource center/library, student success center. I then have them complete a questionnaire so that I can prevent any crisis that may happen in the future.

I think this is very important. Students are new to the area, and do not have anyone around to help them. In introducing staff to the students who can assist them when they have a concern, is very important in my opinion

Currently the school has several people come in and talk to students during the first week. We are looking at adding more discussion with students during the first three classes, in order to help with informing the students of who what when and where are available to them.

At our Orientation, we introduce every director to the new students as a group. Each director then gives an overview of the role that they will play in the student's learning experience.

As the Director of Education at our school, I meet individually with each student and assist with getting their books, getting them to their first class, introducing them to their instructor etc.

We utilize a "Scavenger Hunt" of sorts to urge the students to meet all the key staff & faculty members. Invent a questionnaire paper that sends the students around the school to find the answers to the questions. The staff or faculty member has to sign the paper verifying that the student came by their office and met them. Enter all completed surveys in a raffle for some sort of prize to encourage participation or have some little prize at each office that the student can collect as they go along. Fun and effective.

Eagle techs tell about their fears
Students meet the entire staff
We tour them through the facility

Bryon--

As you have pointed out, helping students build a support system is extremely important. It shoulds as if your students are relocating to attend, in which case including information on community resources as well as providing them with individuals who will support them is critical.

Susan

Susan --

This is a great idea as well...putting a face in front of them again the first week as a 'go to' person for issues.

What is on your questionnaire?

Susan

Kathryn--

Very impressive! That is wonderful that you meet individually with each student. I image you learn all types of useful information to assist the students during those meetings.

Susan

Sign In to comment