Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The ambassadors must have a GPA of 3.5 and above and they must receive two recommendations from two different instructors.

During orientation we want the students to feel that we'll make everything possible to suit their needs. we show our commitment to their success and give them examples of successful students.
We try to develop a sense of trust, and make their time in school comfortable for them.

During the orientation process, I try my best to conduct a brief face-to-face conversation with my student as they arrive into the classroom. I feel that provides a sense of comfort once they’ve had the initial encounter with their professors. I find that the “getting to know you” exercise helps tremendously. We all sit in a circle, and I ask everyone to tell the class something about yourself that no one knows. I start off by telling them something about myself which is, I have 11 toes. Although this isn’t necessarily true, it’s humorous and they find it quite amusing. That is where they will get an overall feel about my personality. Some make the comment of, she is hilarious, or this is going to be an interesting course. I think many students will always have the initial fear of the unknown. What’s the instructor like? Is she a hard grader? Does she understand life happens? Those are the types of questions that you can immediately eliminate by just taking the time out to learn something unique about each person; that shows you really care.

We have them meet with key members of staff and always have faculty members at orientations to talk to them and welcome them. We also have student volunteers who come and help during our orientations and answer questions and meet the new students.

We talk to them about all the resources we have to offer including tutoring, career services, and more and have them meet some of those people as well.

I feel that it is important to make sure the students realize that each class they take during their education will help them in the long run, whether they may see it or not at the beginning. Also, after doing it for a few years, I also realize the most heard questions, and I then in turn answer those questions before the students need to ask them.

Patrick--

You are absolutely correct! Do you use any techniques that are especially effective?

Susan

Stacie--

Using humor--especially about ourselves--is highly effective. Sounds like you set a great tone in your class!

Susan

Vivian--

Sounds like you have a great program. Do you use any particular model for choosing which current students come to orientation ?

Susan

In our orientations, students are informed that everyone, (from career services, to financial aid, to the registrar's office), has hours to accomodate different schedules. Also, on the first day of class, the faculty informs the students as to the best way to communicate with them and assures them that our door is always open.

It is very important to let the student know that there is a support sytem for him/her at school. They need to hear it from their Instructors, therefore bridges of communication can be build toward a trust relation between the student and the faculty member. Direct feedback between student/Instructor is critical

Open door policy works for me.

In order to alleviate student fears, our orientation covers the School’s expectation of what students will be taking in their curriculum, the requirements of uniforms, the necessity of being on-time and attending all classes.

I try to inform students of many of the pitfalls that sometimes take place during a session, I make sure that I give them my business card so that if they are more comfortable writing an email to communicate, they have that option.
I also make sure that they are aware that I am at their disposal for any issue and if they are not comfortable with speaking with me they should seek someone out to help them and to remember that with education you must also know that sometimes you need to ask for help.

Right now, orientation seems to be a bit overwhelming for students. I think that shortening the time and setting up "booths" (from the various departments) would benefit new students. That way, the learners and instructors could just "talk" about concerns/fears.

Fortuna--

This sounds great! I especially like that the faculty provides information regarding how to reach them.

Susan

Marcelo--

I agree...and the direct, and timely, feedback is critical as you point out. Great job.

Susan

Doreen--

Setting clear expectations is important. Sounds like you do a great job on this. Do you also review what they can expect from the school in return?

Susan

Phillipp-

It certainly sounds like you make every attempt to make students comfortable in reaching out to you. Great job.

Susan

During the first day, I always start introducing my self, then I asked them to introduce and answers questions like why they decide to study this career and what they are going to do when they finish.
I like to do this because I think the students feel less tense, more trust and they can find other who are similar.
Then I go over rules and guidelines for the course.

During the first week of class we make them fell comfortable in their new surroundings. Activities such as a tour of the school and explanations of were to go for help helps to ease the tensions they might have being in a new envioroment.

Sign In to comment