Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Dear Susan:

At present we reinforce the availability of our seven days a week tutoring club. Student can participate in this club Monday-Saturday. There is a teacher available from 10:00am to 1:00pm for students who can not come during the week. It work out very well because it quite on Saturdays and the student can get more attention from the instructor.

Joanne

Dear Matthew

This seems like a great idea. Who is responsible for contracting the students for this luncheon and is there a criterion the students have to meet in order to be awarded the benefit of lunch with the director?

Joanne

Hi Joanne,

The department managers contact the students. I ask the department managers to select a broad sample of students from each end of the academic and social spectrum. Having a broad sample yields an accurate picture of student satisfaction. Over the course of the academic year, I try to include as many students from as many programs as possible. Therefore, the criteria are very loose -the department manager must choose a wide range of participants.

Matt

Joanne--

Tell me more about the 'club' part...do you do some things that make it feel less like 'tutoring' and more like a 'club'?

Susan

Dear Susan:

Yes we do, we call it our certification club and along with tutoring we help our student prep for certifications in Microsoft Word 2000 and Excel 2000. And if they pass the SAM practice exam three times with a 90% or above, we pay for the certifications.

Joanne

Dear Susan:

Yes we do, we call it our certification club and along with tutoring we help our student prep for certifications in Microsoft Word 2000 and Excel 2000. And if they pass the SAM practice exam three times with a 90% or above, we pay for the certifications.

Joanne

Joanne--

Awesome! That is certainly a great way to get student in to tutoring and take away the stigma associated with it! Kudos!

Susan

Joanne--

This is excellent! Certainly a way to get people over the 'tutoring' hump by providing a wonderful incentive. Many times students are hesitant to ask for help even though they know they need it...hard to admit! Your model makes it a reward.

Susan

We are bringing in the employees from each department into Orientation so that the new students can see the faces of our support staff instead of just giving them a list of names and e-mail addresses. This seems to help when the students see us around campus they often stop us to ask about their finances, the job board, to talk about a friend interested in coming to school etc. I think it helps them to meet these people on the first day so that the bond begins to form and their sense of belonging grows each time they see one of the familiar faces of the staff they have met through Orientation.

We publish a student newsletter quarterly. The students look forward to seeing the faces of classmates or even themselves involved in campus activities. We have upcoming events listed, the names of the students of the quarter, pictures of Student Appreciation Day, Awards Day ect.

After the newsletter is ready to distribute I hang flyers around campus letting them know that it is "hot off the presses" and list the many places that they can pick up a copy. I have students come by often to ask when the next addition is coming out.

I also think it helps if a student doesn't seem to be getting the support from family or friends outside of school to see the many activities that go on and to learn more about what the student is involved in hopefully making those that have influence over the student more excited about what he or she is trying to accomplish.

Hi, Tammy!

I like the idea of the student newsletter; especially when it includes stories to help support student success. You are absolutely correct that encouraging them is critical given they may not be getting that kind of support outside of the institution. It is very difficult for adult students to return to school.

Do you do anything specific during your orientation to address potential student fears?

Tammy--

Excellent...especially giving all the contact info including email addresses. The more opportunity you can give students to form those bonds with ANYONE at the institution, the better. Good for you!

Susan

In addition to having someone from each department speak at Orientation we also have lists of community resources including daycares offering discounts to our students printed and passed out. Our campus president and academic dean discuss the need to have babysitters to back up the first babysitters and babysitters to back up the second in addition to back up transportation.

I always like to begin my short introduction by letting them know that I am much like they are, a little excited and a little nervous. I let them know that I am excited they have chosen the same institution as I did to pursue their degree and a little nervous to be speaking in front of such a group. I want them to know we are all just human and also know that I am a graduate from the school they are beginning. I let them know that as a graduate and an employee of 6 years that I don't know all the answers but if they stop by my office I have been around long enough to know that together we can find a solution.

I let them know about my first few days at this school were a little intimidating and scary however, I looked around the classroom and found a friendly face, though a stranger at that point I introduced myself. It was very hard for me being such a shy person but 9 years have passed and we are still great friends. Neither of us knew anything about our chosen field but together we studied and pushed eachother to succeed. I just want our new students to know it is okay to be nervous and a little anxious but getting to know your fellow classmates can help you achieve your goals and make you feel more at home.

Personal stories are always an excellent idea. It lets students know that they are not alone in how they are feeling--that they can succeed and 'survive'. Your being able to address this from your perspective is great. Having current students and graduates also can help with this. The key is to have them connect with SOMEONE as quickly as possible (other students, faculty, staff).

Susan

During the entire orientation process we reenforce the idea that the students have made a wise decision. In addition we reiterate our open-door policy and the students repeatedly hear that the ENTIRE staff and faculty are here to help them to succeed. We cannot/will not do it for them, but we are all here to help them to succeed.

James--

First, welcome and glad you were able to reconnect to the class!

What types of activities, etc. do you do with your students to reinforce the wise decision and that they can succeed? Do you have some senior students give testimonials or play a tape or ????

Susan

We have "Halls of Fame" throughout the college with pictures of and information on graduates who have gone on to succeed after graduation. Included are the student's major and a statement from the student about what the college has meant to them.

Each department has its Hall of Fame in the area where their classes meet. That is, medical students are reinforced/encouraged by medical graduates, networking students by networking graduates, and so on.

James--

Great idea! I have seen many walls of 'fame'...but never heard of it being done by department. That's an excellent improvement on the idea!

Susan

We do the same thing at the school I work at. Because it's relatively small and the staff is not too many people, this shows the students that we are a tight-knit group. This makes the students feel comfortable saying hello and approaching us in the halls or in our offices when they have an issue they need to discuss with someone.

Monica--

Welcome! This is an excellent practice. Be sure as your school grows that you keep that same 'family' feeling among the employees and students. It makes all the difference.

Susan

Sign In to comment