Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The first day of class I thouroughly explain the course syllabus, class procedures, and routines. I try to make all students comfortable in their new enviroment and make them aware of what is to be expected from them. Creating questions and comments as well as understanding their expectations from the course helps.

The first day of the class I go over what is happening in the class, and what they will be doing. Then I give them a general schedule as to how we are going to accomplish this.

During our orientaion process we have people from all of the departments address the students to let them know what their dept does for the students,when they are available and to put a face to the department so that when they goes there they see a familar face. This usually makes the students feel more comfortable visiting a department that they need assistance from.

Laura--

This sounds wonderful!

Susan

Dennis--

Excellent idea! If you are able to incorporate specific examples and analogies based on what your students are interested in, I am sure makes a huge difference.

Susan

Guidelines are clear, and the instructors work hard to promote an humorous and comfortable atmosphere. The whole idea is being positive.

A good portion of our students come from out of state and have to find employment and living arrangements prior to starting school. This is probably the greatest fear that they have, not being able to make it. We have an employment services department and a apartment assistance service located on campus to assist with these issues. These issues are also addressed during the orientation process. We have representatives from each one of our departments speak during orientation and inform students of what they can assist them with. A question and answer period follows at the end of the orientation. Instructors also have time at the beginning of each course to address student issues or fears if needed. All campus personnel from the campus president to the facilities department are here to help our students be as successful as possible.

Ralph--

It certainly sounds as if the majority of your students have real challenges before starting classes...relocation/housing and the need to find employment. It is wonderful that you have departments to assist in this.

Susan

We have a complete orientation process that starts with the obvious rules and regulations.We spend almost a day and a half getting new students acclimated and introducing them to key people they will be involved with. We tour them over the campus and let them see all we do while it is actually in progress. Throughout this entire time we are helping to build up their confidence and get them excited. We want them as comfortable as possible. We have some of our more animated instructors work with them over the first course to keep them talking and involved. Our success rate has been good.

I don't usually have to deal with student fears as far as " new student fears" are concerned. When I get them they are usually more than half way through the program. They usually stress over bills, missing time because they can't reschedule appointments and everyday life issues that they are facing for the first time in their life. I handle them on a case by case basis. If my advice is not enough, then I point them in the right direction and hope they can find a solution.

Alan--

This sounds absolutely wonderful!

Susan

I just tell them our schedule for the next 3 weeks. Remind them of being on time, use of cell phones and sleeping in class. If they have other issues they are refered to an ed. Mgr. or Student Services.

I let them know that even though the subject matter can be diffucult to comprehend, I will make myself available before or after class for additional tutoring or to answer any questions. I ensure them that I will do anything in my power to get them to understand the material.

I try to get them into the lab the first day and get them excited about the course. I also convey to them that asking questions is going to open doors to more knowledge to the whole class. Its a win, win situation.

James--

Do you do anything specific in your classes to increase their comfort level with the material and each other?

Susan

Our staff members are welcoming, honest, and open with students. We also have student ambassadors who address many of their concerns.

We also have a Hall of Fame, however, ours focus on faculty members - emphasizing their credibilty. We also have success stories about our students posted all over the school.

As a graduate of the institution I am currently instructing at, I try to address the students fear by sharing some of my past experiences as a student here at this campus.

Judy--

How do you structure your ambassador program? What are the criteria to be chosen?

Susan

Jacob-

That is wonderful! You can really speak to many of their fears by giving them examples.

Susan

Sign In to comment