Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

We also provide students with a fact sheet with the most commonly asked questions.

Our school makes sure that there are employees from each department that has interaction with students. Faculty also participate in orientation. Each aspect of orientation provides students with knowledge they need to succeed.

We also have pictures of the faculty that include a small biography. Moreover, we take students into the kitchen and show them a cooking demonstration.

Carol--

I am so happy to hear your faculty participate. This is very important and sets a great foundation for new students.

Susan

We have current students come in and share their experiences. These range from funny anecdotes to some soul searching quandries.

The First Day of Class We go Over our Keys to Success.

Hello, I feel that letting the students know that they will not be abandoned along the way and that they will not be tested for material that is not covered in the curriculum will help to alleviate fears and anxiety.

In my oreiantation I address the students fear by getting them to introduceing themself to each other, asking what brought them to this place in thier lifes what do they want to get out of my program. I feel that this breaks the ice and everyone is on the same leevel.

Letting students know that all the students in this class will be taking the course for the first time regardless of the module they started in. This seem to help them relax about other students being ahead of them

Student fears need to be addressed to help them achieve their goals. Talking to them or at least having them write down what their concerns are is a good place to start. Assuring them that their fears are legitimate can win their confidence and help them resolve them.

I think having current student or graduates discuss their fears and how they overcame them is a great way to help new students.

the first day of class for sops i like to start with a litle history of my self then inform them that i am there to help them if they need it.

I think one of the best ways to address student fears is to let them know you are available to them, and give them the feeling that you're approachable. The mmore intimidated they feel by you, the less likely they are to ask you questions - and the more isolated they will become. By being visible and friendly at the start of the course, they are more likely to come to us when they have questions.

This sounds like a great approach!! That personal touch really makes a difference - it helps them realize they are not just a number to us.

Great idea Gary - I like to create a discussion spot that says something like, "If you have a question that is not personal in nature, please post it here - your classmates and I will help answer it!" I have been really pleasantly surprised by the results of this - most times, before I answer those questions, other students have already answered them! This helps to build a sense of community also.

Charlie--

I completely agree...and really like the 'will not be abandoned' part. That is very important.

Susan

Chuck--

Great questions. Your students can also see that there are many others that have the same background and/or goals.

Susan

Connie--

This is a great strategy and I'm sure is comforting to the students.

Susan

Rondell--

Yes! This helps students to see that it is possible! Testimonials from current students and alumni is a great way to make that point.

Susan

Dee--

Being approachable is key, as you point out. If students don't feel they can ask you questions (in class or out), they do start to disconnect from the class and feel there are no options for assistance if needed. Great job.

Susan

Sign In to comment