Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I am limited to what I can employ in the classroom, other than excellerated learning techniques.

Based on one of your other postings, how about creating a forum to share best practices and developing a follow up system to keep everyone informed about actions taken to help students?

Become aware of suport systems available. Learn to be productive with student problem for a positive out come. Respond to issues in a timely manner.

1) Ensure all of my students are given clear expectations of their acedemic progress.

2) Attempt to minimize class interruptions.

3) Encourage the students more.

MAKE SURE STUDENT ARRIVES WITH ENOUGH FUNDS UNTILL HE FINDS A JOB---MAKE SURE HE HAS HOUSING--MARK SURE HE STARTS OFF IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION ACADEMICALLY

1. I will attempt to have better communication with the student and attempt to have a better established open door policy.
2. I will make an effort to attend more events in which student s are present. This will help me get an idea if there are any issues that are common with students and that I can help with.
3. I will try to get better informed on who to contact for the most common problems students run into while attending our school.

1 I will look at students in adifferent way

2 I will be more watchful of the they act.

3 I will work with my TTL on this.

I will daily review my student progress and take immediate steps to identify the need for tutoring.

I will daily engage in conversation with my students to build rapor and assist them with their personal problems when I can.

I will also take steps to discover how other departments in my institution can assist.

Thank You

Daily intervention with at risk students
A Recognition activity for students
Communications with instructors from every class daily.

1. Recommend that all instructors be given more training on retention.perhaps the online course student retention methods, talk with lead instructors about more directly relating course objectives.

2. Training for instructors to identify at risk students and how to effectively guide/counsel students with problems.Conduct student surveys, Contact absent students.

3. Use tracking tools to identify where new programs,or fixing old ones,this would make the greatest difference. reevaluate faculty perception of their role in the retention process. Take steps to reenforce retention as a group and not an individual responsibility.

, I meet student or staff, with “good morning” or “how are you?” helping to make this a more pleasant and cheerful environment.

By tracking student progress, I am able to intervene when there seems to be a problem and help to develop a strategy for success. I think that to improve retention at this institution is a daily minute by minute display.
One of the things that I do is to be sure and acknowledge everyone

Third I am working on ways to get more student involvement during Open Houses and other campus events, so they can partner with instructors and staff out of the class room, but in and environment they share a common passion.

Getting students involved in events is a challenge many of us have struggled with. Have you found any practices that have been successful?

During the next 30 days, here are the things I can do:

1. Add retention as a permanent topic to the agenda when meeting with both Pre-Career and Professional Program managers and staff.

2. Connect the topic of retention to other topics to encourage awareness and discussion. For example, the nursing staff would look at retention when they are discussing skill delivery.

3. Raise awareness of facilitators through discussion in the pre-career areas where there appears to be less of an understanding of how not reaching one's goals can affect retention.

My ideas stem from the administrative area.

1. Mentoring assignments will be given out on 1/6/09. Was already schdeuled. The method of assignment has been improved.

2. I will direct that three specific staff people be required to take this course. I want them on the same channel. Good course.

3. Our number one retention effort for '09 is our revised curriculum. It utilizes a team teaching approach in that a series of classes is treated as a unit with a set group of instructors. It is designed to enhance problem identification and to institute remedial action early in the students' careers. It will start 1/5/09. It has been in development for ten months, has all the necessary approvals and is ready to roll out. It views retention as a "holistic" issue and addresses it accordingly.

Meet with students that have a day of missing time or a failed test. Discuss what the issue may have been and work to help them over come the challenge.

Work with Instructor staff to ensure a positive learning atmosphere in the class.

Follow up with students that made comments on the course evaluations and understand what their suggestions and challenges were understood how (I, We) can better deliver the material and provide a successful learning environment.

#1. Talking about the good jobs out in the work place. #2. State the advantages on becoming a succesful Tech. and #3. Put the student in the drivers seat and ask them who would they hire for their business?

1.work with all office staff to help any student in need.2. offer my help to any student that i can reach.3. tutoring students will always help retention.

We do have monthly department meetings to work on the problems in that department. The minutes to our meetings then go to the owner of the school. So he goes over those concerns.

Denise Long

Does the owner directly respond to concerns presented in the minutes or work through the management team? Who prepares the minutes? What are the expectations from the department members?

It depends on the conditions of the problem. If it is something that can not wait, he will deal with the concern at the moment. If it ia one that can wait for a day or so, he will get others in put, then take it from there.
Denise Long

Sign In to comment